Bare Bodkin opens spring show ‘Twelfth Night’ Friday

Feature-Image_Place-HolderWINTER31

If you hear singing from the top of Nathan Tufts Park near the Powder House this weekend, do not be alarmed. If you climb to the top of the hill, you will find a group of Tufts students performing Shakespeare. Bare Bodkin’s production of “Twelfth Night” will be opening Friday at 2 p.m. off campus.

For those who are unfamiliar with “Twelfth Night,” which was written at the turn of the 17th century by William Shakespeare, it is a comedy full of the hilarious misunderstanding and love triangles that arise when two siblings are shipwrecked on the mysterious shore of Illyria. While the piece is undoubtedly fun and whimsical on the surface, director Allison Benko, a junior, says she was also drawn to a more serious side of the piece while studying theater in London.

“I saw that there was all this imagery of decay in [“Twelfth Night”] and that it wasn’t just this comedy — it [also] has this big, strong bite,” Benko said.

Thus, in directing the Tufts production, Benko hopes to strike a balance between the lighter and darker sides of the play, which, under her interpretation, conveys a split message: seize the day, because we’re all going to die.

“It’s a tremendously funny play, [so] I’ve tried to put in a ton of humor, too,” she said. “But there is also this element of darkness.”

Musical elements help to weave together both sides of “Twelfth Night.” In fact, one of Benko’s goals for the production has been to use music as a way to explore some of the deeper themes that initially caught her interest.

Yet though she always intended to experiment sonically, the musical aspects of the show have taken off beyond her expectations. Cast member Adele McAllister, who plays Feste, the jester or clown of “Twelfth Night,” brought her music writing talents to the production with transformative results. The music included in the Bare Bodkin production will feature McAllister’s original work. With a bit of experience already under her belt — she has adapted the works of J.R.R.Tolkien and Robert Burns to music — McAllister, a junior, was inspired by the songs given to Feste in “Twelfth Night” and started composing after receiving the part.

“I really like setting poetry texts to music,” she said. “I started writing stuff and [said], ‘Oh, we can use this!’ Beiko has given me a really wonderful opportunity to set Shakespeare to music. How could you ask for better words?”

Benko said she could not be more pleased with McAllister’s work and the abilities of her “absurdly musically talented” cast.

“I really hit the jackpot,” she said.

The feeling is mutual. Tufts seniors Adam Bangser and Julia Lyons, who play lovers Sebastian and Olivia, are also excited about the musical side of “Twelfth Night.” According to Bangser, the music “instills a sense of togetherness that you don’t normally get in a straight play because ... we’re in all the group numbers together.”

To Lyons, the songs are an integral part of the show’s character.

“The music also puts [‘Twelfth Night’] in a specific time and place,” she said.

“Twelfth Night” will be performed three times at the top of the hill in Nathan Tufts Park. The performance times are Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m., and audiences are encouraged to bring their own seating. In the case of one performance being cancelled due to rain, an extra show will be performed on April 12 at 2 p.m. in the park. If a second performance is rained out, an indoor performance will be given in Sophia Gordon Hall on the April 12 at 8 p.m. All shows will be free, non-ticketed events open to the public.