‘Pompeii’ marred by cheesy plot, flat characters

Films featuring sensationalized historical and mythological stories have fared relatively well in the past few years. Many, like this year’s “Hercules” and 2011’s “The Immortals,” are doomed to flop. However, a new production in this vein — one about gladiators, love and a volcano — might end up destroying itself.

“Pompeii” tells the epic story of Milo (Kit Harington), a slave in ancient Britannia in 79 A.D. When he is young, Romans — led by Senator Corvus (Kiefer Sutherland) — kill Milo’s parents and the rest of his tribe, but he manages to escape. After making money through gladiator fights for over a decade, Milo is then captured by slave traders and brought to the city of Pompeii. Meanwhile, wealthy merchant Severus (Jared Harris) and his wife Aurelia (Carrie-Anne Moss) are welcoming their daughter Cassia (Emily Browning), who has spent a year away in Rome, back to the city.

Milo catches Cassia’s eye when she sees him fighting a battle against former gladiator champion Atticus (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), and the two are instantly attracted to each other. Days after Milo comes to Pompeii, Senator Corvus arrives to discuss business with Severus just in time for the town’s annual gladiator festival. During the festival, Milo and Atticus — who have developed a friendship after sharing a slave cell for a few weeks — are pitted against each other. Atticus will earn his freedom if he wins the gladiator battle, but in doing so, he must kill Milo. Before this can happen, however, Mount Vesuvius erupts, sending the town into a panic. Now, Milo must decide between taking his revenge on Senator Corvus, or following his heart and saving Cassia.

The history of Pompeii and ancient Britannia provides fantastic material for a compelling storyline, but director Paul Anderson is unable to take full advantage of it. Anderson has a history of being creatively involved with disappointing action films, such as the “Resident Evil” series, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that “Pompeii” falls flat.

A visually bold film, “Pompeii” does incorporate beautiful cinematography that convincingly illustrates ancient Britannia. Indeed, the special effects — especially after Mount Vesuvius erupts — along with the epic soundtrack, are arguably the most impressive aspects of “Pompeii.” Yet even the most visually pleasing movie can’t make up for a tired plot and nearly non-existent character development. “Game of Thrones” (2011-present) fans may find “Pompeii” enticing because Harington, one of the series’ main protagonists, plays the lead: However, they should avoid falling into this trap. Harington wears the same slightly disappointed look on his face during the entire movie — even during fight scenes. Though no one can deny that he is nice to look at, Harington’s acting would underwhelm even his most dedicated fans. Browning isn’t much better; she plays the bland role of the damsel in distress and, unfortunately, never evolves beyond that. Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Sutherland, Moss and Harris deliver solid performances, but as minor characters, their efforts ultimately cannot salvage the film.

It doesn’t help that Milo and Cassia are drastically underdeveloped and barely interact. It is hard to believe they are in love and would risk their lives for one another, considering they have only talked alone once. Anderson tries to force a connection between these characters and ends up producing a love story that just doesn’t register.

Previews for “Pompeii” advertise the movie as filled with grand romance and epic action, but, in reality, it fails to measure up to its trailer hype. In attempting to be a mix of “Titanic” (1997) and “300” (2006), “Pompeii” overestimates its ability to capture the spirit of both films. By the end, viewers will be eagerly awaiting Vesuvius’s eruption because, with a lackluster storyline and characters who are impossible to take seriously, it is undoubtedly the most exciting part of the movie

The film finishes on an unexpected note that evokes two contrasting emotions. Initially, viewers will intially be excited that Anderson has finally made a unexpected decision by concluding with a plot twist, butthen they will laugh out of pity due to the scene’s terrible execution. “Pompeii” throws a lot of material at audiences, but in the end, is barely tolerable, bereft of any real pleasure.