‘Ender’s Game’ succeeds as compelling sci-fi film

Feature-Image_Place-HolderOLIN

Classic novels have a long tradition of resisting successful film adaptations, and science-fiction stories are all the more challenging to remodel for the screen. In particular, Orson Scott Card’s 1985 bestselling novel “Ender’s Game” has a history of being called “unfilmable” due to its violence, heavy plot and author, whose bigoted politics have often overshadowed his stories. With all of these disadvantages, it’s even more surprising that this year’s adaptation of “Ender’s Game” succeeds as a lean, compelling and meaningful science-fiction film.

“Ender’s Game” is set in a future where Earth has survived an initial invasion by an insectoid alien species known as the Formics. A hegemonic International Fleet is tasked with finding and training young children who have demonstrated natural strategic genius as humanity’s best hope to stave off future invasions. It selects Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) as its most promising candidate. Ender propels his way through Battle School under the tutelage of manipulative teachers who seek to use his skill for the greater good. At once shy and empathetic, but also brutally violent, Ender proves to be an almost too-perfect candidate for the military, as he begins to uncover dark secrets that the leaders of this dystopia are hiding.

Faced with infamously complex source material, “Ender’s Game” chooses to build a cohesive film out of the novel’s central elements, rather than cramming as much content in as possible. The result is a propulsive film that barely stops to appreciate the expansive world that it has constructed. Under Gavin Hood’s masterful, fast-paced direction and buffeted by powerful performances, this momentum works in the film’s favor. Whereas a lesser, more bloated version might have sacrificed themes in favor of plot, here, the high-level energy makes the film’s themes both pronounced and engaging.

The best sequences of “Ender’s Game” take place in the Battle Room — a zero-gravity structure where Battle School students are pitted against each other for combat training. The three-dimensionality of this space is beautifully captured using restrained cinematography and human choreography — ultimately, we begin to see Ender as a leader because of how elegantly and effectively he commands his Battle Room team. As viewers watch him evolve into a more complicated character, the camera movements also grow increasingly complex. All the while, the vastness of outer space sits ominously in the background, creating both a sense of grandeur and fear.

In the pantheon of science-fiction filmmaking, “Ender’s Game” is more “Star Trek” (1979) than “Star Wars” (1977). While the operatic space battle scenes are impressively crafted, they each only last for a few minutes. The film emphasizes brooding character development over intense action. Its main focus is the political interplay between Ender and his adult mentors — intergalactic war takes a backseat, serving to raise the moral stakes of the story but not overwhelm it. Hood exhibits an impressive tonal consistency throughout, creating a story that has room both for huge space battles and dark, effective metaphors about bullying, manipulation and militarism.

At times, the film’s fast pace prevents it from reaching full potential in some of its most epic scenes. For example, the first 20 minutes are dense enough to constitute an entire film — but unfortunately the scenes pass so quickly that the audience doesn’t have time to digest all the exposition and character development that takes place. We understand the gravity of events that occur, but we are unable to build emotional connections with many of the supporting characters.

Some of the omissions from the source material do act in the film’s favor. Card’s repulsive personal politics — particularly his bigotry against queer people — have been well publicized, and the film does well to sidestep them whenever they threaten the story. The novel’s derogatory term for the aliens, “Buggers,” is omitted for the more technical name, “Formics.” Multiculturalism is amplified, while imperialist attitudes are excluded. Card’s politics may forever hang darkly over this series, but the film does not let them infect its storytelling.

“Ender’s Game” is an entertaining and enthralling exploration of humanity’s relationship with compassion and violence — all seen through the eyes of children. It is not as complex as the book, but it isn’t trying to be. Instead, the filmmakers have taken the core of the novel and crafted a smart, energetic adaptation.