The Artsy Jumbo | Brian Aronow blends jazz, hip-hop, R&B with band ‘Bad and Blue’

Feature-Image_Place-HolderPRESLAWN

When sophomore Brian Aronow started playing saxophone in third grade, he had no idea that it was going to become a lifelong passion. Today, Brian is a dual degree student studying cognitive and brain science at Tufts and jazz at the New England Conservatory of Music , and his band Bad and Blue has a gained a significant following on campus.

After attending Tufts as a full-time student last year, Aronow decided to take the next step and transfer into the NEC dual degree program.

“I realized that [music] was a major part of my life and something I really wanted to pursue,” he said.

Bad and Blue is made up of seven Tufts students, including juniors Jesse Brotter and Chris Hamblin on bass and keyboards respectively as well as sophomores Harry Meyerson on drums, rapper Cameron Flowers, guitarist Lila Ramani and vocalist Tammara Gary. The group’s sound is inspired by artists like Robert Glasper, Esperanza Spalding, Sidewalk Chalk and The Roots.

The band has performed at a variety of venues including the Pan African Alliance cruise and at Sophia Gordon Hall with other bands on campus. Last year, the band did covers of Britney Spears’ “Toxic” and John Legend’s “Who Did That To You?” With two singles out already, Bad and Blue hopes to release its first album this year.

Aronow’s goal for the band is to bridge the gap between jazz and more contemporary hip-hop and R&B while still being able to connect with a wide audience.

“We’re doing things that jazz discovered in terms of beat, cords or harmony, but making it so that a more contemporary audience can dig it,” Aronow said.

For more information, check out the band’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Badandblue.