Elizabeth Landers | The Clothes Make the Woman

What is fondly referred to on the Hill as "nerd prom" has quickly turned into one of the most coveted tickets in Washington, D.C.'s swirl of fundraisers and power parties. The White House Correspondents' Dinner took place on Saturday night in the nation's capital, hosted by 99-year-old nonprofit organization the White House Correspondents' Association and with Conan O'Brien as the master of ceremonies. The glitz of the Obama administration extracts celebrity appearances whenever and wherever a notable event is held, and the fashion ante has consequently been upped. When Katy Perry attends, you know there is something to look at. The smattering of stars and other power players might raise an eyebrow - Korean entertainer Psy in some steezy sunglasses? But judging by the live video stream and the red carpet paparazzi pictures, everyone was dressed to impress.

Fashion Editrix and Conde Nast creative director Anna Wintour shined in a champagne floor-length gown with a conservative neckline and a white mink caplet. Despite the fact that it has been a warm spring in Washington, Wintour found a way to incorporate fur into the luxurious look. Another British editor-in-chief, Joanna Coles of Cosmopolitan, channeled her edgier signature style into a turtleneck sleeveless black gown, a metallic clutch and short black nails. The pairing somehow reflected both her younger, sexier approach to things and her magazine audience, though a high turtleneck on a sleeveless dress probably confused most people, including myself.

Self-deprecating, Twitter-obsessed supermodel Chrissy Teigen rocked a one-shouldered KaufmanFranco gown in a curious shade of cream. The beaded confection, which had asymmetrical cascades that followed the line of the diagonal neckline, was neither earth shattering nor boring. Her best accessory of the evening was clearly her fiance, John Legend, who looked classic and clean in a traditional black and white tuxedo.

There was an abundance of lace, appropriate for the warmer nights of spring and summer, as seen on Arianna Huffington and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. The media mogul Huffington donned a black lace version with - gasp - a leather bodice and cap sleeves. It somehow still managed to look age appropriate and modern, proving that some women really do have it all. Louis-Dreyfus went for a more vixen vibe in a purple, strapless Dolce and Gabbana number that wielded significant sex appeal.

Life imitated art quite accurately as well, with a White House-produced riff on "House of Cards" and stars Kevin Spacey, Kate Mara, Robin Wright and Corey Stoll gracing the red carpet. One of television's best-looking casts, the group looked stunning. Robin Wright, who plays the manipulative wife and ice queen of the show, opted for a stunning black Rolando Santana dress, which highlighted her cropped locks, decollage and diamonds. Ironically, the devilish Mara wore a white Prada gown with three-quarter length sleeves that showed off her tiny frame. Mara and sister Rooney, of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (2012), have recently become fashion darlings, which most likely has something to do with their perfectly petite (and sample size) frames and razor sharp bone structure.

Of course the talk of the town, as it usually is whenever the President and First Lady are in attendance, was Michelle Obama's dress. The First Lady wore a black Monique Lhuillier gown. With a semi-sheer, beaded overlay demurely hiding her shoulders and neck, the gown was simple and tasteful, but had enough sparkle to command the attention of the room - not that she needs any help with that. Though New York Times mainstay Cathy Horyn criticized the hoopla that surrounds the First Lady and her outfit choices, Michelle and her army of stylists no doubt recognize this and try to share the love when it comes to her fashion preferences.

--

Elizabeth Landers is a senior majoring in political science. She can be reached at Elizabeth.Landers@tufts.edu.