Film Review | 'The Croods' raises childish animation to refreshing, intellectual level

Set against a prehistoric backdrop during the rise of natural destruction by shifting tectonic plates and erupting volcanoes, "The Croods" follows a family of six as it journeys for survival throughout lands filled with colorful, lush vegetation and fantastical creatures. The journey is fraught with family disputes and the clashing of cultures as the traditional ways of life for this Stone Age family are challenged by their need to adapt to the changing environment.

Still, the film feels contemporary rather than prehistoric. "The Croods" is a refreshing animated film that combines the satirical nuances present in modern television series such as "Modern Family" and "1600 Penn" that amplify the antics in family relationships. These shows play up, for example, the clashes between an archetypical rebellious teenager character and an overprotective father and the ever?contentious dynamic between the never?satisfiedmother?in?law and the annoyed son?in?law who is struggling for acceptance.

The Crood family includes a curious teenage daughter, a clueless son, a ferocious baby, a mediator mother, a neurotic grandmother and an overprotective, alpha?male father. The characters are stereotypically personified, with the clueless son and neurotic grandmother serving as comic relief while the mediator mother and curious teenage daughter convey morality and a sense of reality in this fantasy world.

Although the film is animated and targets a young audience, the subtle conflict between the innocence of youth and the callousness of adulthood, as well as the recurring theme of climate change and the need for adaptation, are hidden for the adults to search and dig out.

Eep (Emma Stone) is the spirit of the film, representing the curiosity of youth and the willingness to try new things - she sets up a trap to capture food as her family struggles to survive in the changing landscape. Comparatively, Grug (Nicholas Cage) is the overbearing father whose beliefs are rooted deep in the traditions of his caveman ancestors. He believes, for example, that one should chase a bird in order to find its eggs. He represents the unwillingness of older generations to accept novel or different ideas, such as setting up a trap to catch the bird instead of exerting extra energy to simply capture its egg.

Aside from the contrast between youth and adults, the message of climate change is also woven into the film in the form of the character Guy (Ryan Reynolds). Guy represents the modern man and, unlike the reluctant Croods, generates exuberance for innovation in the face of arising obstacles, such as shoes to protect delicate feet from the new, sharp, spiky landscape and the creation of a portable light source - a flaming torch - as a guide in the blindness of night. Guy arguably symbolizes the stakeholders in our contemporary human world that are actively working to adapt to climate change, through innovations such as the construction of floating houses and schools in Bangladesh in the face of increased flooding. Guy and his innovations serve as a commentary on Earth's dynamic atmosphere and our need to adapt to natural changes dictated by climate change.

Despite the gravity of themes such as climate change adaptation and the unwavering ways of adults, "The Croods" is in fact a family comedy and is sure to satisfy all audiences with its fantastical circumstances, which range from popcorn raining from a lighted corncob to a ravaged grandmother who attacks her chubby grandson in a desperate act of hunger to a desperate father who seeks to remain the leader of his family with extravagant displays of machismo.

"The Croods" is ultimately a tale of boundless love between family and new friends that also underscores the importance of being open to new ideas in a dynamic world.