The Artsy Jumbo | Junior artist Mia Greenwald explores printmaking

Mia Greenwald has been interested in art since before she can remember.

"It's what I've always wanted to do," she said.

A junior, Greenwald is a dual?degree student, majoring in International Letters and Visual Studies at Tufts while simultaneously taking courses at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts.

Although she has no particular area of concentration at the SMFA, Greenwald has recently been exploring printmaking.

"I've been taking a lot of printmaking classes this semester," she said. "Right now I'm in a screen printing class, an etching class and an experimental drawing and painting class."

Last summer, Greenwald took her artistic interests off the canvas and into the classroom while on a study abroad program in Cuba.

"I researched the politics and economics of the art market [in Cuba] to see how that influences the dynamic of the art world there," she said.

At Tufts, Greenwald utilizes her artistic abilities to design T?shirts for many of the groups in which she is involved.

"I'm on the Ultimate Frisbee team, so I designed shirts for them, and I'm on the [varsity] swim team, so I designed shirts for NESCAC's," she said.

This year, Greenwald also joined Tufts Exposure, the main photojournalism program on campus.

Ideally, Greenwald wants to continue making art after college.

"I would like to be an artist," she said. "[But] I realize that that's not necessarily a possible career path, so I'm open to possibilities."