TV Review | 'Walking Dead' suffers from lifeless plot

It's nice to take a moment during a TV show's current season to look back at how the program has evolved. Sadly, in the case of AMC's "The Walking Dead," this evolution is more devolution. Once pegged as the one of the most innovative shows on television, "The Walking Dead" has been stretched so thin that it now chronically disappoints viewers, leaving almost nothing to praise.

At the same time, it's important to look toward a show's future. Despite letting fans down this past fall, "The Walking Dead" proved last Sunday that it still has vast potential.

For those unfamiliar with the show, "The Walking Dead" is a drama/horror series based on the graphic novels of the same name that follows a group of survivors struggling to endure in a post-apocalyptic America. Forced to fend off zombies — or rather "walkers" — one moment and the animosity within their group the next, the thought of a world overrun by zombies has never seemed so bleak and realistic, yet also entertaining.

Leading the survivors is Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln), a noble and selfless sheriff's deputy dedicated to keeping his loved ones alive. Standing by his side are his wife Lori (Sarah Wayne Callies) and son Carl (Chandler Riggs), who support Rick in his moments of doubt.

Opposing Rick at every turn is his fellow sheriff's deputy and once-best friend Shane (Jon Bernthal). Having succumbed to the darker tendencies of the zombie-ridden world, Shane's new, pessimistic outlook on life has led him to dispute Rick's leadership and make several questionable moral decisions.

This season's plot arc has involved the survivors attempting to make a home on a secluded farm, while struggling to cooperate with the family that already lives there and simultaneously searching for one of their own who has gone missing.

Cooped up on the farm, tensions flare between survivors over moral issues and decisions that have been or still need to be made.

The main issue with this season is that almost nothing has happened. This synopsis manages to sum up seven hour-long episodes, only leaving out some minor plot points. Considering the pace season one plugged along at, this year has been unacceptably slow, with a majority of episodes starting and ending in the exact same situation.

Yet slow plot progression has done more than simply bore the audience to inattentiveness. Keeping the cast on a farm has secluded them from the dangers and horrors of the infected world, removing the elements of danger, fear and harsh reality that characterized the show. Viewers are unlikely to get a scare on the safety of the farm, though a gruesome zombie kill can still be expected every few episodes — which, unfortunately, is not as common as they used to be.

Furthermore, this plot direction has dulled the show's once-brilliant dialogue. Due to its tremendous cast and writing, "The Walking Dead" is known for compelling character interactions. Without any progression in the plot though, the characters have nothing worth saying and thus just tend to repeat themselves time and time again.

Luckily, Norman Reedus stars as Daryl Dixon, a tough, brash, yet sincere "redneck" loner. Though it might not sound like it, Daryl has been one of the only characters capable of producing meaningful dialogue and action this season, and his ongoing relationship with Carol (Melissa Suzanne McBride) has brought viewers some fine, often touching moments. Reedus has become the show's undisputed highlight.

Despite all of its problems, "The Walking Dead" still has sincere potential. Last Sunday's episode, "Nebraska," demonstrated that there is hope for fans, as it included some fresh dialogue and plot points bred from the chaos that ensued at the end of the midseason finale. With Rick and Shane's relationship further strained, the group's spirit completely shattered and their safety on the farm looking more and more tenuous every moment, the future is ripe with possibilities.

So where will the show go? Since the "The Walking Dead" has already departed from the graphic novels it was based on, it's foolish to speculate on the show's future from the progression of the comics. With everyone's safety and allegiances up in the air, the writers could take the show in any direction; all fans can do is hope they take it in a more dynamic one then they did last fall.

One thing is for sure, if "The Walking Dead" wants to salvage its quality, the survivors need to leave the farm and get back to the dangers of the outside world. There is little dispute among fans that season two has been a letdown overall. But with a brilliant cast, writing staff and basic plot, there is still hope for the future.