Masterful acting, direction make 'A Separation' a classic

Critically, 2011 was a mediocre year for Hollywood, perhaps one of the most disappointing in a long time. Despite pumping out a variety of moneymakers over the summer, very few quality films surfaced. Yet, standing out among the numerous letdowns is the lauded Iranian film, "A Separation," which, in its brilliance, rose high above the rest.

Set in contemporary Iran, "A Separation" focuses on a couple's troubled marriage, as Nader (PeymanMoaadi) attempts to take care of his Alzheimer's afflicted father and Simin (Leila Hatami) seeks to leave the country so that their daughter may grow up with a better life.

When Nader hires a woman by the name of Razieh (SarehBayat) to aid in caring for his father, situations spiral out of control and culminate in a ruthless legal battle that threatens to tear apart the lives of all those involved.

At first glance, this somewhat simple plot may not sound like the most riveting of stories. Yet, as the story progresses the audience is presented with a vivid, almost haunting picture of how quickly one's life can fall to ruin, often due to circumstances out of his or her control. The morass of lies, beliefs, traditions and emotions that forms by the story's end will have even the most careless viewer thoroughly intrigued.

Much of "A Separation's" appeal comes from the understated performances given by its amazing cast. None of the actions is unbelievable or over the top, and the actors express such honest emotion while reasoning through situations that nearly any viewer can relate to.

Such acting thoroughly humanizes the characters and gives them depth, leaving no true antagonist to blame for the mishaps that riddle the film. Rather than setting up one−dimensional foes and heroes, the film explores the faults of each character in a way that makes them wholly empathetic to the viewer.

Of course, much of the drama "A Separation" skillfully builds can be credited to the film's impeccable script. Because the film was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay, people often assume that the film's writing is brilliant. Watching the movie confirms this assumption. Few films in recent years have rendered emotions and plotlines as poignant as those in "A Separation."

As the story revolves around families and their daily lives, much of the dialogue is realistic to the point of seeming trivial. The script is laden with verbal crutches, interruptions and tense pauses. Yet factors such as these go a tremendous length in making the film believable and compelling, for all of the conversations seem genuine and unscripted. These small touches make the film truly superb.

Since it is a foreign film, "A Separation" is presented in Persian with English subtitles. Unlike many foreign films though, the subtitles perfectly match the actors' tones and expressions, in no way detracting from the overall experience. Surprisingly, the subtitles are almost unneeded, for the actors manage to convey their lines so well with intonations and body language that even without knowing Persian, the viewer can understand what is happening.

All things considered, this movie would be nothing without the work of writer/director AsgharFarhadi. While his script is seemingly flawless, the direction behind the film is no less worthy of mention. Farhadi's sense of space and precise camera placement perfectly complements the sparseness of the script. Many, if not all of the camera angles were constructed in a fashion that utilizes every ounce of space on the screen, forcing viewers not only to take in the characters and their sincere intensity, but the environments around them as well. This all−capturing method of filming serves to develop a deep sense of awareness within the viewer and in turn create an empathetic mood that remains consistent throughout the film.

Farhadi's techniques and genuine skill are demonstrated most prominently in the parallel between the film's cold opening sequence and its drawn out finale. The comparison arouses a deep sense of symbolism just as stark while producing a simple brilliance.

As if being a stunning piece of art weren't enough, "A Separation" also serves the audience on a more basic level: it educates. As many American viewers are unlikely to know much about Iranian culture, the movie attempts to reveal a number of cultural aspects along the way, teaching as it entertains.

"A Separation" is a near perfect work. Despite its status as a little known foreign film, this masterpiece swept the cinematic field in terms of quality, with acting, writing and direction arguably better than that of any other film this year.The true shame is that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences overlooked "A Separation" in its nominations for Best Picture — an award the film truly deserves.