The Artsy Jumbo | Bowe finds solace in music and memories

What was your most recent excuse for missing school? Maybe a cold? Maybe a hangover? Maybe sheer laziness? Unlike senior English major Justine Bowe, you probably couldn't claim to be polishing off your first studio−recorded album.

Though she took last semester off for a variety of reasons, Bowe also used that time to finish making her first five−track album under the name photocomfort. A melodious mix of electronica and orchestration, the album cleverly reflects some of Bowe's favorite musicians — Simon and Garfunkel and Grizzly Bear. When asked about her moniker, Bowe replied that it references her tendency to withdraw into herself in times of stress.

"I can comfort myself with solitude and images of childhood, things that I find comforting or solitude. It's all about that retreat before I can re−enter the world," she said.

Bowe would love the opportunity to explore her music for a few years after graduation, but she still doesn't think she could make it a permanent lifestyle choice.

"That kind of lifestyle … is incredibly taxing, physically and emotionally. I don't think I have a high threshold for that," Bowe said.

Bowe has been involved with music throughout her life, and distinctly remembers owning Weezer's "Blue" album (1994) in elementary school. She has also always prized her own individuality, and readily accepted that many of her tastes — musical and otherwise — did not overlap with others' tastes. This same philosophy helps explain how Bowe is able to balance her musical passions with her studies.

"What I try to do is make sure that my academics are … as appealing as my music. Right now, it's about balancing things that I actually want to pursue. It's not so hard when you actually want to do it," she said.

There's definitely a lesson to be learned in there.