Tai Frater | Chewing the Fat

When I considered the food options I would find in America, I stereotypically expected burgers, ribs, fried chicken and carb-heavy, fat-laden food. I was somewhat surprised to have hitherto discovered my sweet tooth since my arrival here. Formerly somewhat of a "savory" girl, I shunned chocolate in favor of olives, cheese and chips, and tended to crave salt more than sugar. However, although I am still partial to an olive or 12, my sweet tooth has definitely emerged, thanks especially to two establishments: The Danish Pastry House and J.P. Licks.

The Pastry House is positioned temptingly close to my house and has emerged as the primo spot for me and my housemates to pick up a Friday treat. It is truly a feast for the eyes as much as the stomach. Entering the Pastry House, you are faced with an array of cakes, pastries and other treats all wonderfully presented. Often, these are topped with glistening fruits, such as huge blackberries and raspberries. Once more, I am speechless as to why fruits here are at least double the size of those back home. I have a modern skepticism about things I don't understand, and the size and physical perfection of fruit here can seem a little ominous at times — whether it's due to climate, selection procedures or genetic modification is beyond me. Or it may be that the United Kingdom just has small, ugly fruit — the jury's out.

Anyhow, back at the Pastry House, decisions ensue. My newfound sweet tooth makes the decisions infinitely harder, as chocolate appears to have so many varieties — do I want chocolate cake, chocolate mousse, chocolate cheesecake, dark chocolate, light chocolate… Decisions, decisions. Luckily, I have yet to choose unwisely, and can thoroughly recommend the chocolate cheesecake resplendent with giant raspberry on top, the chocolate mousse in a pastry case and the incredibly rich solid chocolate cake — which, I should warn you, is hardcore stuff. Please be advised these were consumed in three separate sittings. I am not an animal.

One of the things I love about this place is its attention to detail. I am surely not the only customer who takes along a camera to snap a photo before devouring the cake in question. In a strange way, it reminds me of a trip to Japan, during which every meal was exquisitely presented. At home, my meals may be tasty and hearty, but they are not works of art. The level of craftsmanship at places like the Pastry Shop is what makes it such a treat.

Another place where I have been feeding my sweet tooth is the much-celebrated J.P. Licks. Initially I loved this place for the name, which delighted J.P., my friend from home, for obvious reasons. I was also somewhat baffled to discover they manufacture ice cream for your dog and have bone-shaped dog biscuits at the counter that can be sprinkled on top. I am fascinated by the rather species-centric assumption that things we like are also enjoyed by animals, hence the popularity of clothes, Christmas presents and marriages for animals. The discovery of doggy ice cream has fueled my belief that Americans are even crazier about their four-legged friends than us Brits — a shocking revelation.

Anyway the great thing about J.P. Licks, apart from the dog-friendly options and that it's a warm place to wait for the Joey, is of course the ice cream, which is the best I have yet sampled in the United States, and all served by lovely staff in a cool shop — top marks, J.P. A real find.

--

Tai Frater is a graduate student studying

occupational therapy. She can be reached

at Tai.Frater@tufts.edu.