Walking Dead' tantalizes but falls short of audience's expectations

"The Walking Dead" is not your average piece of mindless, zombie−killing entertainment. It's a drama ripe with genuine human conflict — a show that seamlessly binds elements of horror, action and suspense.

Returning to AMC this past Sunday for its second season, "The Walking Dead's" season premiere broke TV records by garnering 4.8 million viewers in the 18−to−49 age group — the most for any drama in basic cable history.

Based on the comic book series of the same name by Robert Kirkman, the show was developed by Frank Darabont and continues its promising run this season under the supervision of Glen Mazzara.

Picking up right where it left off last year, the show chronicles the continuing journey of Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln), a sheriff's deputy from Georgia. Grimes leads a group of survivors through a world devastated by a disease that turns infected people into zombie−like creatures, dubbed "walkers." After failing to find a cure at the Centers for Disease Control, the group heads to Fort Benning in hopes of salvation.

When the survivors hit a roadblock not far out from Atlanta, an unexpected threat slowly begins to erode the group's control and cohesiveness.

Building successfully on plot threads from last season, the premiere delves deeper into Lori Grimes' (Sarah Wayne Callies) affair with her husband's fellow deputy, Shane Walsh (Jon Bernthal).

In addition, it begins to explore the effects of Dale Horvath's (Jeffrey DeMunn) decision to save Andrea's (Laurie Holden) life.

The episode also touches on the question of whether or not it's worth struggling to survive in this dark, new world — perhaps suicide offers the only means of reprieve.

Rick's continuing inner turmoil is the most compelling part of the show. Questioned by the very people he is trying to keep alive, Rick comes to doubt if he is capable of leading the survivors. Lincoln portrays this struggle masterfully without compromising his depiction as a stalwart leader.

Though the cast is full of relative unknowns, the majority of the actors — especially Chandler Riggs and Norman Reedus — do a phenomenal job of portraying truly devastated, conflicted characters amid the chaotic, post−apocalyptic setting. They achieve a rich, earnest level of drama unmatched by so many conventional hospital or police programs.

"The Walking Dead" is a stirring drama whose horror aspect cannot and should not be overlooked. The show is wonderfully creepy, replete with sincere suspense and intense action segments. While the show has its gory moments, the execution is perfectly appropriate, given the show's nightmarish context.

Though sometimes stomach−turning, "The Walking Dead" has some of the best visuals around. Proof of this point comes in the first few minutes of the premiere, as a herd of gruesome, bloody and torn walkers rains down on the survivors.

Every zombie features a unique, garish visage; they are eerily, monstrously and impressively crafted. This makes sense, considering the show won the award for Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup at the 63rd Emmys and was nominated for Outstanding Special Visual Effects.

Yet, after an opening season that received near universal acclaim, this year's premiere, "What Lies Ahead," had lofty expectations to meet. Unfortunately, the episode fell short.

That's not to say the episode was bad — in fact, it was quite entertaining. However, it simply felt like a continuation of the first season, dragging on at a semi−sluggish speed instead of kicking off with a bang.

Without a much−needed rush of energy to boost the show's intensity, "What Lies Ahead" failed to stun.

The premiere plods along with a fairly formulaic structure; it abruptly cuts between scenes of action and plot progression to scenes of stagnant conversation and melodramatic monologues.

While the dialogue is decent, it is frequently used to provide unnecessary exposition. The script often reiterates what has already happened or reveals information the audience doesn't truly need. The product is a would−be intense hour of television diluted by theatrical exchanges.

Though the episode does drag, it ends in typical "Walking Dead" fashion, with a cliffhanger that almost forces viewers to continue watching the following week.

All in all, the series' second season started out well, but certainly not at the caliber most fans expected.

"The Walking Dead" has such potential — a stellar cast, great visual effects, nearly a decade of comic−book storylines to work from and a staggeringly high viewer base. If the showrunners ditch the formulaic conversation and infuse the episodes with a greater sense of urgency, it could very well be one of the best shows on television.