The Artsy Jumbo | Science meets art in wild Card

It can be difficult to find a biology major surviving at Tufts. It's rarer still to find a bio major with a budding career as an artist.

Lizz Card is a sophomore majoring in biology and minoring in art. She is also a talented painter who creates portraits of people in a photorealistic style. Card has even made money off her work, as she has been commissioned by a number of individuals to paint for them.

Card sincerely enjoys her painting process. "When I paint I think about all sorts of things. It's kind of meditation because I have so much time to think. I like just being alone with my thoughts," Card said.

Card's artistic endeavors are a side passion, as it is difficult for her to balance commissions with her full course load. While she doesn't expect painting to be her primary career path, she thinks painting will always be a beloved pet project.

In the future, Card would like to venture more into surrealist territory. She has done a few replicas of surrealist paintings and is currently developing her own surrealist style. She also plans to master watercolor techniques and to start working with bronze. Card hopes to take more art courses at Tufts to improve her skills and open herself up to new and different ideas when it comes to her works.

--