Favorites and winners: predictions for the Emmy Awards

This Sunday, the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences will be handing out the 63rd annual Emmy Awards. This year's nominees include many fan-favorite shows and critically acclaimed productions.

The actors, actresses and shows that the Daily feels should win are italicized, while the ones that are believed to win will be highlighted in bold.

Outstanding TV Miniseries or Movie Nominees

"Cinema Verite"

"Downtown Abbey"

"The Kennedys"

"Mildred Pierce"

"The Pillars of the Earth"

"Too Big To Fail"

In the past, this category has been dominated by HBO productions, and this year is no different. "Mildred Pierce," the year's most-nominated show, is the clear favorite — and for good reason. "Mildred Pierce" has the high production values of an Oscar-worthy film and features one of the most talented casts on the small screen. Todd Hayne's miniseries is truly worthy of all the acclaim it's sure to garner.

Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Nominees

Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie"

Tina Fey, "30 Rock"

Laura Linney, "The Big C"

Melissa McCarthy, "Mike & Molly"

Martha Plimpton, "Raising Hope"

Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation"

"Parks and Recreation" is one of the best comedies on television today, and much of that is due to Poehler's performance. Poehler is always hysterical, and at the same time capable of keeping her character realistically grounded. Unfortunately for Poehler's fans, Emmy awards tend to go to movie stars, and darker roles carry more weight than silly ones. Because of these preferences, Linney is likely to walk away with the statue this Sunday for her role as a cancer-stricken mother and wife.

Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Nominees

Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"

Louis C.K., "Louie"

Steve Carell, "The Office"

Johnny Galecki, "The Big Bang Theory"

Matt LeBlanc, "Episodes"

Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory"

Louis C.K. is the director, star, editor and writer for every single episode of his show "Louie." No one else in television history has ever taken on all of these roles. He deserves some recognition for his dedication in creating such a high-quality show, as well as for the many hats he dons in its production. Still, the Emmy voters will most likely give the award to Carell, who has yet to win an Emmy award and has just finished his last season as "The Office's" iconic Michael Scott.

Outstanding Comedy Series Nominees

"Big Bang Theory"

"Glee"

"Modern Family"

"The Office"

"Parks and Recreation"

"30 Rock"

Oftentimes, the Emmys reward the same shows year after year and tend to go with safer picks. "Modern Family" is a very safe choice for Emmy voters — it closely follows the conventions of older sitcoms and is reminiscent of the family comedies of yesteryear. While "Modern Family" is a decent show, "Parks and Recreation" is a more consistently witty series with more sustained character development throughout its entire season.

Outstanding Actress in a Drama Nominees

Kathy Bates, "Harry's Law"

Connie Britton, "Friday Night Lights"

MireilleEnos, "The Killing"

MariskaHargitay, "Law and Order: SVU"

JuliannaMargulies, "The Good Wife"

Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men"

JuliannaMargulies was the favorite to win last year but was upset by Kyra Sedgwick. Emmy voters are likely to make it up to Margulies by finally recognizing her for carrying one of the most-watched and well-respected shows on network television. However, despite Margulies' contribution, Moss is probably more deserving of the Emmy. She finds extraordinary depth in her character and stands toe-to-toe with some of television's top actors. To stand out in "Mad Men's" stellar cast takes some amazing and award-worthy acting.

Outstanding Actor in a Drama Nominees

Steve Buscemi, "Boardwalk Empire"

Kyle Chandler, "Friday Night Lights"

Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"

Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"

Hugh Laurie, "House"

Timothy Olyphant, "Justified"

Since perennial favorite Bryan Cranston is not in the running this year, this award is up for grabs. Emmy voters are likely to give the statue to Hamm, as "Mad Men" is a proven Emmy favorite and Hamm has yet to win the award, despite being "Mad Men's" lead. Hopefully though, Buscemi's performance will not go overlooked. Although "Boardwalk Empire" may not have lived up to its hype, Buscemi has crafted a three-dimensional character that has stolen the scene throughout the entire season. He deserves the award for being much better than the material he is given.

Outstanding Drama Series Nominees

"Boardwalk Empire"

"Dexter"

"Friday Night Lights"

"Game of Thrones"

"The Good Wife"

"Mad Men"

One thing is for sure: Emmy voters love "Mad Men." The show has won Best Drama for the last three years, and that streak isn't likely to end anytime soon. "Mad Men" has consistently high production values, a talented cast and takes risks in its storytelling. It has established itself as the most compelling drama on television week after week.