Where you read it first | Friday, September 6, 2024

Healthy food, fun theme make Veggie Galaxy a worthy addition to Boston's vegetarian fare

Imagine if a 1950s diner somehow became… healthy. Now imagine if this diner burst onto the culinary scene with a vegan bakery, homemade bread and a menu comprised entirely of vegetarian diner fare. Sound too good to be true?

Veggie Galaxy recently opened in Central Square and is already creating quite a buzz. The restaurant — Veggie Planet's sister restaurant — is a completely vegetarian diner with a large selection of vegan options, as well as dishes that can be requested as vegan. Their frappes, for example, are made with soy ice cream, and any cheese on the menu can be substituted with house−made vegan cheese.

As a vegetarian, I couldn't resist the draw of a strictly vegetarian restaurant in the Boston area and ventured to Vegan Galaxy only three days after its grand opening on Sept. 5. Walking into the restaurant, I immediately noticed that with its vinyl seats, retro green fabric patterns and booths−for−two, Veggie Galaxy has fully embraced its diner theme. Though the venue isn't particularly large, the seating is arranged so everything feels intimate, but never crowded.

After a few minutes of menu surfing, I settled on a chocolate malted frappe ($5.50) and a Harvard Square−style mushroom chickpea burger with a side of red cabbage slaw ($9.95). Let me start by saying I have had more than my fair share of veggie burgers. At their best, veggie patties can be moist, flavorful and hearty. At their worst, they can taste like particleboard.

My frappe arrived relatively quickly. Like a traditional milkshake, it was served in a tall glass with a stainless steel tumbler holding the extra liquid. Interestingly, this was one of the smoothest milkshakes I have ever tasted. The frappe melted in my mouth, and had a rich, silky flavor. It didn't taste exactly like chocolate syrup, but it was still delicious.

As I sipped my frappe in soybean−infused bliss, I had an excellent view of my burger's preparation and things looked promising: I saw the cooks hand−shaping the patties before placing them gingerly on a griddle, while house−made buns toasted nearby.

When my burger arrived it was framed by a yummy−looking heap of red cabbage slaw and some baby arugula. I went in for the kill, and realized that the top side of the burger hadn't been cooked at all. The patty was a sodden heap of lukewarm mushroom−and−chickpea mush topped with the sweet corn mash. I had at least expected to receive a fully cooked meal for dinner.

I was more impressed by the pairing of the burger with the sides. There was just enough difference between my burger's red cabbage jicama topping and its red cabbage slaw side for the two to work well together. The cabbage had been mixed with capers and carrots, and its tanginess perfectly complemented the sweet corn on the burger. Although it seemed a bit out of place, the side of lightly dressed baby arugula was also prepared well.

Overall, I was pleased enough with my experience at Veggie Galaxy to justify my trip to Central Square. Yes, failing to fully cook my burger was a large oversight, but it's likely this mistake was a result of the restaurant's extreme newness. I was able to order a fast, healthy meal for less than $16, and I'd be willing to bet this will become a popular college hangout in a matter of weeks.