Bubs sing on 'Glee' album to be released next month

An album to be released by Columbia Records next month will feature songs performed by the Tufts Beelzebubs on the current season of Fox's "Glee."

The album release marks the first time the Bubs have been featured on a major record label, according to junior Evan Powell, the Bubs' business manager.

"Our motto is fun through song, and this has been a great way to spread our music — not just the [Bubs'] music but a cappella in general," Powell said. "We have been really thrilled with the response."

On this season's program, the Bubs provided background vocals for the show's Dalton Academy Warblers, accompanying lead vocals performed by "Glee" cast member Darren Criss.

The yet−to−be−named album is set to be released before the end of season two of "Glee" sometime next month, according to Powell. Songs to be featured include covers from the show of Train's "Hey Soul Sister," Maroon 5's "Misery," Destiny Child's "Bills, Bills, Bills" and Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream."

The album release comes on the heels of several recent public appearances by the Bubs, including a stint on NBC's reality show "The Sing−Off" and a performance at the White House in December.

The Bubs have been surprised by increased publicity resulting from their involvement in "Glee," despite the fact that the show's producers have generally refrained from specifically identifying the group, according to Powell.

"Oftentimes, we'll be advertised [for a gig] with something like ‘As heard on "Glee"' without us even knowing," Powell said.

Despite increased publicity, the Bubs managed to keep the recording process relatively subdued, according to freshman Bubs member John Kwon.

"It was really a pretty low−key, underground process. To see our work in the studio broadcast on national television was pretty surreal," Kwon said. "To have an exclusive Warblers album is even more special."

The group recorded all of their songs for "Glee" in September at Q Division Studios in Davis Square. Although it may have been easier to record with Criss and the rest of the "Glee" cast in New York or Los Angeles, the Bubs had academic obligations to fulfill, according to Kwon.

"We could go out there, but it would be a hassle. We are students first," he said.

The Bubs met at the studio between classes in the fall to record the songs for the show, following directions from the producers, Powell said. The recordings were then sent to Los Angeles where they were synced with Criss's vocals.

Kwon said the Bubs have never met Criss or any of the other "Glee" cast members and have only interacted with one of the show's producers.

The group is looking forward to the release of the album, Powell said.

"We're all really excited for the album," Powell said. "This year has been a surprise and a wild ride for us, but we are glad it gets to go on for a little while longer."