Where you read it first | Sunday, May 19, 2024

Restaurant Review | Shabu-Ya brings shabu-shabu fun to Harvard

Unenthused by the trek on the Orange Line to Boston and the long wait that described Q, Chinatown's new Mongolian hot pot restaurant reviewed in the Daily last Wednesday? Just move a little east in cuisine and six stops closer on the T.

Shabu-Ya, a combination sushi/hot pot East Asian restaurant in Harvard Square, is sure to provide a fun and delicious dining experience. Located directly above Wagamama on JFK Street, it gets you out of Davis Square while still offering quality Asian cuisine far closer to home than Chinatown.

Surprisingly, there was no wait to seat our party of six at 6:30 p.m. on a Saturday night. We were immediately taken by the restaurant's high-energy decor. The place looks like something out of "The Jetsons" (1985-7): Bright pink and green dominate the color scheme, and the space is furnished in a very smooth, flowing and modern style. The restaurant's website claims that the color scheme represents raw meat and vegetables. In conjuction with the quirky lighting, it is supposed to represent what it is like inside a hot pot.

Variety is definitely one of Shabu-Ya's strong points. The shabu-shabu, a Japanese version of hot pot, included over a dozen combinations of meats and seafood (including vegetarian options), served with your choice of broth, noodles or a plate of vegetables. There was an extensive list of a la carte choices to choose from as well, should diners desire to diversify their tastes. The lamb and mushroom dishes were especially impressive.

In addition to the broth and dunking items, meals come with a soy-based sauce and a tray with four or five condiments, including Chinese barbeque sauce and chili flakes for a bolder taste. Every order comes with the same standard plate of vegetables.

Though shabu-shabu is the restaurant's main focus, it's not the only thing Shabu-Ya does well. Indeed, one friend called the spicy tuna maki "to die for," and the dragon maki, which includes shrimp tempura, cucumber and avocado, was tasty enough to merit a second order.

It pays off to try some of the less well-known items on the menu. The stone pot Bibimbap — a blend of marinated meat and vegetables atop crispy rice, drizzled with a spicy sauce to taste — was gone before it had a chance to cool. The pork Bulgogi is another build-your-own dish, the assembly process of which involves scooping saucy vegetables and spices onto lettuce leaves.

More than anything, Shabu-Ya is a fun experience — finally, it's okay to play with your food. This interactive meal, filled with powerful flavors, is definitely a group activity. For those who are scared of cooties or weirded out by eating family style, it's possible to order individual entrees, but in doing so, you really miss out on the spirit of the restaurant.

Cashing in at almost exactly $20 per person (tip included), Shabu-Ya is an affordable option for college students, and its nonexistent wait makes it perfect for spontaneous outings. Granted, it's not the best option for a quick bite to eat — service was quite slow at times — but it certainly provides the chance to properly savor each dish.