The Poison Tree' makes for thrilling debut novel

Karen Clarke is a woman who has everything to lose. Indeed, she seems to have a perfect, albeit boring, life as a talented, straight?A English major who has just graduated from university in London. But she is not fond of her boyfriend or her friends and her life seems to lack passion and vitality. As her college career comes to an end, she meets a free?spirited bohemian girl, Biba, who propels her into a new life.

"The Poison Tree," Erin Kelly's first novel, develops the character of Karen to its fullest potential.

After Karen meets Biba for the first time at the university, she makes the rash decision to move into Biba's mansion for the summer. Without hesitation, Karen drops her boyfriend, her former friends and even her family in order to fully immerse herself in the new and exciting lives of Biba and Rex.

Biba and Rex are two young orphaned siblings who welcome Karen into their lives with open arms. Karen is quickly absorbed into the magical life of excess, where drugs and alcohol are plentiful.

This psychological thriller flawlessly alternates between the narration of a crazy summer and the events that occur ten years later. Rex has been released from prison, Biba is nowhere to be found, and an older Karen constantly alludes to the day that ruined everything, and to a secret that permeates her soul.

Karen's first social encounter with Biba's world occurs at a colorful party at the mansion, where Karen instantly feels at home. The scene is a wild one, and Karen dives right in. After Karen swallows an Ecstasy pill, she embarks on a crazy adventure from which she does not fully return until Rex, whom she has married in the interim, gets out of jail 10 years later.

The reader is kept in constant suspense as to why Rex is serving time or why Biba has disappeared from the story. Additionally, Alice is introduced as the daughter of Karen and Rex, whom we learn early on were together during that mystifying summer. The little girl is an eerie replica of Biba.

As well as being the daughter of Rex and Karen, Alice is the metaphor for the lasting effects of the summer on all three main characters. Her name is an allusion to Alice in Wonderland, who, like Karen, thoughtlessly falls into a rabbit hole in which she finds a fantastic but scary new life.

The changes portrayed between young and old Karen are poignant. Kelly convincingly writes about a young and carefree Karen, as well as about the grown?up Karen who has experienced the hardships of life.

But both versions of Karen contain evident flaws. Younger Karen is selfish and irresponsible, while older Karen is irritable and controlling. Both versions of Karen belittle and mistreat Rex. Her tendency to blame others for her foolish mistakes creates a lack of sympathy for the main character.

The character of Biba is also multi?layered and convincing, but much more likable. She represents the free?spirited, fun?loving, but extremely irresponsible friend feared by parents everywhere. She uses her charming personality to lure Karen into her world, and to manipulate those around her. With Biba, Kelly successfully creates a complex character that readers love and hate at the same time.

Biba's brother, Rex, is unfortunately treated as a superfluous character by Karen, Biba and the author. Although he drives much of the intrigue, as a character, Rex remains underdeveloped; his role as Karen's boyfriend, an ex?prisoner and a resident of the mansion is reduced.

Kelly's background is in journalism, having freelanced for well?renowned British publications such as the Daily Mail, Psychologies and Look, yet her newest work is that of a promising new author.

The novel is full of surprises and secrets. Kelly creates suspense through repeated use of foreshadowing. At times, the clues are overwhelming and leave little room for deduction, but for the most part, they propel the novel forward. And even with the use of foreshadowing, Kelly delivers an unpredictable ending and an exciting finish to her debut novel.

"The Poison Tree" is a fast and easy read. Divided into short chapters, it would make the perfect read over spring break. If a light, interesting, suspenseful and beautifully written novel is what you're looking for, Kelly will not let you down.