Top Ten | The other Oscars

In preparation for the Academy Awards this weekend, we decided to give a little attention to some other noteworthy Oscars.

10. Oscar the Grouch: Maybe he could hock the trophy for a living upgrade, like a dumpster.

9. Oscar Hammerstein II: Where would we be without the lyric-writing half of Rodgers and Hammerstein? Imagine the horrors of a wordless "Sound of Music" (1959) or "The King and I" (1951).

8. Oscar Wilde: We'd never enjoy any Bunburying without him.

7. Oscar de la Renta: He did a collection of cerulean gowns in 2002. According to "The Devil Wears Prada" (2006), this was a BFD.

6. Oscar Martinez from "The Office": The Scranton accountant, played by Oscar Nunez, is one of the few sane people at Dunder-Mifflin — a much-needed dose of reality amid a staff that includes the likes of Michael Scott and Dwight Schrute.

5. The "o" in the NATO alphabet: Foxtrot Uniform November Foxtrot Alpha Charlie Tango.

4. Oscar De La Hoya: The pugilist known as "The Golden Boy" is a wiry little guy who knows how to throw a punch. A hard punch. A gold medal-winning punch. We didn't want to know what would happen if he wasn't on the list.

3. Oscar Mayer: Hot dogs are better than movies. Exception: movies about hot dogs.

2. Oskar Kokoshka from "Hey Arnold" (1996-2004): Kudos to Nickelodeon for giving the world the most blatantly prejudiced depiction of an Eastern European since Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov" (1880).

1. Oskar Schindler: Of course he's number one. Lists are kind of his thing.