Defying vampire mold, 'Diaries' knows its place and owns it

Red contacts, fake blood, plastic fangs — the vampire craze certainly isn't anything new. From "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997−2003) to the "Twilight" series and "True Blood," one would think the world of vampires has finally been bled dry.

But think again. It's time to lock your doors and grab some garlic because the second season of "The Vampire Diaries" is back, and it's redefining guilty pleasure.

Adapted from the books written by L.J. Smith, the series, developed by Kevin Williamson ("Scream" (1996), "Dawson's Creek" (1998−2003)), revolves around Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev), a teenage girl who is thrust into the world of the supernatural when two vampire brothers, Stefan and Damon Salvatore (Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder), descend upon her little town of Mystic Falls.

With this first introduction to the paranormal, Elena enters a world of vampires, werewolves and witches (oh my!), where her life seems to be constantly in danger and everyone has a hidden identity.

Picking up from the pre−hiatus cliffhangers, Elena, Stefan and Damon are left fielding threats from every angle. Jules (Michaela McManus), the maliciously vengeful, though beautiful, werewolf has just tested the theory that a bite from a werewolf kills a vampire, and — much to the chagrin of Damon and his freshly bitten friend Rose (Lauren Cohan) — proves it right.

Meanwhile, Stefan, always trying to protect his beloved Elena, refuses to accept her agreement with the powerful vampire, Elijah (Daniel Gillies): In return for the guaranteed safety of her friends and family, Elena has promised to lend herself as bait in Elijah's war against an even more powerful vampire, Klaus.

Outside the main trio, Elena's best friend Caroline (Candice Accola) juggles romantic interests from a werewolf — Tyler (Michael Trevino), who knows she's a vampire — and Matt (Zach Roerig), who does not. The love triangle leads to one of the night's funnier lines, "Everyone just needs to stop kissing me!"

Vampire royalty, tan werewolves, love triangles. From a distance, "The Vampire Diaries" can seem like nothing but a duplicate of the "Twilight" series. In fact, at times Elena and Stefan are remarkably reminiscent of their counterparts Bella and Edward, especially as they insist on rarely smiling and always having perfect hair.

With all these familiar tropes, audiences are often left wondering if this show can bring anything fresh to the table.

The answer lies in complicated plot lines, profound characters and even the occasional laugh. With these elements, "The Vampire Diaries" has succeeded in stepping out from the shadows of "Twilight" and "True Blood," creating a unique place for itself in an overly crowded trend.

One of the greatest things about the show is its supporting cast. While the extremely attractive Dobrev and Wesley can certainly carry any scene, the real stars of the show are Somerhalder, Accola and the rest of the extended "Vampire Diaries" family.

Unlike "Twilight," this is a show about a town, not just a couple, and the depth of the cast gives the writers plenty of room to play with different dynamics. The complexity of the characters keeps the show from becoming boring, and the interconnectedness of the gripping plotlines renders the show truly addictive.

"The Vampire Diaries" has certainly mastered the art of the guilty pleasure. Attractive actors? Check. Just ask Entertainment Weekly's "Sexiest Beast" poll winner Somerhalder. Fighting? Check. The makeup crew must be loved by fake blood manufacturers everywhere. Sex? Definitely. With its teenage CW audience in mind, the show places itself somewhere between the complete abstinence of the "Twilight" crowd and the near−pornography of shows like "True Blood." As for the guilt part of being a guilty pleasure? Well …

While the vampire/high school combination can give the show the appearance of a second−class citizen of TV world — something reserved for 14−year−olds or to watch only when there's no new episode of "Jersey Shore" — "The Vampire Diaries" is actually a credit to its species.

The writers don't shy away from exploring themes of humanity and love, but when there's been enough, as Damon says, "doom, gloom and personal growth for one night," the show also succeeds in just being fun.

The show has embraced its trendy roots. Yes, with its sex, suspense and violence, it would do any Team Edward member proud. But where other shows resign themselves to becoming replicas of hackneyed fads, "The Vampire Diaries" introduces complex characters like Somerhalder's Damon and balances suspense with fun in a winning combination.

So while audiences will inevitably be sucked in by the blood and sensuality of the show, they will stay because "The Vampire Diaries" simply knows what it's doing. "Twilight," watch your back.