MTV's 'Skins' adaptation a bust

For those of us fortunate enough to have seen "Skins," a UK television series that premiered in 2007, it should come as no surprise that the MTV adaptation of the series doesn't compare. It simply can't, due to the difference between British and American broadcasting standards. England's lenient polices have allowed for a fuller, more realistic depiction of modern−day teenagers, sexuality and drugs; the U.S. standards are too limiting for such a compelling portrayal.

Unfortunately, not everyone has had the opportunity to see the original series in its glory, and those who have not are left with this lackluster husk−of−a−show that is meant to embody and represent relevant, pressing teenage and familial dilemmas.

Adapted by Bryan Elsley and his son Jamie Brittain, who also created the British version, the American "Skins" debuted on MTV on Jan. 17, 2011 to 3.3 million unlucky viewers. This attempt at edgy television follows a group of teenagers in their final years at a Baltimore high school. Though it has come under some criticism for being too risqué in its portrayal of teen drug use and casual sex, much of this, as well as language, has been censored. The result is a far weaker depiction of reality.

The premiere episode of "Skins," titled "Tony," proved to be a scriptural copy−paste of the first episode of the U.K. version, but lacked the flow and excitement that can only be generated by the actors. Tony (James Newman), the supposed big man on campus, makes phone calls to all his pals in an attempt to help his friend Stanley lose his virginity — it's simply "embarrassing" to be a virgin that long. Afterwards, dull pandemonium occurs over a drug sale, a party, a fight and a desperate race to the hospital to save a drug−induced Cadie (Britne Oldford), who unsurprisingly wakes up just in time.

Each character is introduced in a descriptive setting, giving the audience a bit of insight into who each is. This group is a mix of offbeat and stereotypical types: popular boy, pretty girl, awkward kid, girl with a disorder, party animal, dedicated musician, gay cheerleader and a pick−and−choose Muslim.

Though the first episode was a bust, some viewers were hopeful that it was simply due to a bad translation of the original British script. Many anticipated that the second episode, "Tea," would prove to be more of a success since it deviated from the original's plot arcs. Unfortunately, we were disappointed yet again. This episode, which focuses on Tea's (Sofia Black−D'Elia) sexuality and its impact on those around her, was handled in a manner that offered neither significance nor entertainment.

The problems don't lie solely in the scripts, however. They also lie in the show's implausibility, which can be attributed to the poor acting and even worse casting.

As Tony, Newman sounds and looks like he's not ready to play a part that demands physical and vocal maturity. Maybe in a couple years he'll be ready, but at this point in time he simply doesn't have the chops. And it's hard to believe that a character like Chris, portrayed by Jesse Carere, can be getting "busy busy" with Overbite (a female classmate) when it sounds like his voice is on the verge of cracking.

Two character changes from the U.K. version to the U.S. version also proved unpopular among the "Skins" fan base. The characters Tea and Cadie derive respectively from the original characters Maxxie, a gay dancer, and Cassie, an anorexic pill−popper, both of whom lightened our moods and drove our attention to critical issues.

The swap of a gay character for a lesbian character seems to be a cop−out on the part of the producers in an attempt to appeal to a different demographic. The change from the airy, slightly comical Cassie to the dark, morbid, hamster−embalming Cadie is a feeble choice that only detracts from the series as a whole. It seems as though MTV is more interested in achieving success by acquiescing to American standards than by mirroring contemporary truths as shows like "Glee" and "Modern Family" have.

The American version of "Skins" has fallen below the standard that the original set — failing because of its lack of edge and authenticity. Through its purposeless acting and misfit cast, the show produces a soirée of disappointment. If there were a Razzie Award for television, this show would win.