Life As We Know It': A rather predictable romantic comedy

Don't expect the unexpected from "Life as We Know It," Greg Berlanti's run-of-the-mill romantic comedy. Featuring elements of cheesy and predictable slapstick humor, this movie isn't awful, but it just screams "typical."

The plot showcases the banal blossoming of a relationship between two people who cannot stand one another, but are brought together by a tragic event.

Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel portray two feuding acquaintances tied together by a serious obligation. After two mutual friends die in a sudden car accident, the combative duo is forced to live together to take care of a now-orphaned one-year-old girl.

In the film, Heigl takes on her usual role as an overbearing control freak — the exact same type-A woman seen in "27 Dresses" (2008) and "The Ugly Truth" (2009). Typecast as a career-driven up-and-coming caterer, Heigl's performance is nothing beyond average.

On the other hand, leading man Duhamel breaks out of his acting shell, providing a sincere and poignant performance. In the past, Duhamel has had difficulty with character development, offering static depictions in "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!" (2004) and "When in Rome" (2010).

It becomes quickly evident that Duhamel was cast for more than his pretty face. He really captures the chaos of being thrown into the role of a responsible adult, and his despair is tangible when he realizes how badly he has massacred his chance for a life with Holly (Heigl). Together, eye candy Duhamel and the overly-emotional Heigl balance each other on-screen, adequately satisfying audiences for the film's 114-minute run time.

Aside from the two main stars, familiar faces pop up in the film, like Josh Lucas ("Sweet Home Alabama," 2002); Melissa McCarthy ("Gilmore Girls," 2000-07); and television's favorite secretary, Christina Hendricks ("Mad Men").

McCarthy and Hendricks prove the caliber of their acting skills as they seamlessly transition from the small screen to the big screen. Nothing is lost in that switch, as each still aptly captures the essence of their respective character.

Seasoned movie actor Lucas plays a rather unbelievable, altruistic role. His character vies with Duhamel's for the heart of the leading lady. Lucas' Dr. Sam is the embodiment of every woman's dream man: Golden-haired, handsome and a doctor, he is full of wit and intelligence and even gives up his happiness so that Holly can follow her true love for Eric (Duhamel).

Actual character maturation adds a twist of sophistication to this shameless ogle-fest. Eric changes his ways and begins to live a more serious lifestyle after realizing his love for Holly. He simultaneously hones his career and starts taking more responsibility for the child.

In the end, "Life as We Know It" is a perfectly ordinary romcom that promotes the importance of relationships, including occasional bits of humor that keep audiences wanting more. The film is good for a girls' night out or even for a date night, assuming your date is equally interested in gawking at Duhamel and Lucas. But it's definitely not about to take a place in the upper echelons of the genre.