She's Out of My League' stars discuss dating

"She's Out of My League," starring Alice Eve and Krysten Ritter, is a new comedy about an average guy who manages to date a gorgeous woman. In her potential breakout role, Eve plays Molly, the leading beauty, alongside her co-star Ritter ("Breaking Bad" and "Veronica Mars," 2004-2006) as Molly's best friend, Patty. The Daily participated in a roundtable inteview with both actresses to talk about the 10 scale, bad dates and snuggling.

Question:
You've both been on the road for a while promoting this movie. Is this the longest promotional tour you have been on?

Krysten Ritter: Yeah, this is the biggest promotional tour that we've done. It's pretty full on. We get up really early, do radio shows, TV interviews, then hop on a plane and go to a screening in another city. It's pretty fun and surreal that Paramount is shipping us around. They must really like the movie.

Q: You [Alice Eve] have an incredibly thick British accent. Did you have any problems adjusting to an American character?

Alice Eve: No, not really. It varies from person to person. I grew up in California and went to school there, so it was pretty easy. I do find the Boston accent very hard to do. I've been trying to copy our driver. I think I'm going to practice it on the train to New York.

Q: What was it like working with Jay Baruchel?

AE: It was really great; he's a talented guy. He's definitely not a five. He's not nearly as uncoordinated as he is in the movie. He's played socially awkward characters in movies like "Knocked Up" (2007) and "Tropic Thunder" (2008), but he's really smart and funny in real life.

Q: What did you do in your time off while shooting the film?

KR: Alice and I would hit strip clubs on the streets of Pittsburgh. On our days off, we would snuggle in bed together and watch TV.

AE:
It was a lot like being in college again. I loved to get in bed and snuggle.

KR: Also, T.J. Miller is a stand-up comedian, so he would gig around pretty much every night. He is a very ambitious guy. We got to Pittsburgh, and he knew where all of the comedy clubs were. So we went to see him a lot; that was a fun time. We would take cast field trips to Dave & Buster's, which I thought was for children, until I looked over and everyone was drinking and smoking. I actually won tons of stuff playing the arcade games.

Q:
You've done a lot of work on television, Krysten. What's the biggest difference between that and film?

KR: The main difference is that television takes less time for shooting. There are lots of great material and creative voices in cable television right now, so I found some really interesting stuff, like "Breaking Bad." I'm also doing a new show called "Gravity" about suicide. The shows also complement the films you're doing. Because we shot this movie two years ago and it hasn't come out yet, since then I've done lots of other projects. TV helps make the process quicker, where you could shoot something, and it airs three weeks later. It's more immediate, and it's a way to have my foot in everything.

Q: Do you [Krysten] have a preference for either?

KR:
I like doing movies and cable TV. It's very similar because cable is a shorter schedule, whereas big network shows shoot 22 episodes, so it's about 10 months of work. A movie is about three months, cable is three months, and you get to cram more in that way. It suits my personality because I like to do it all.

Q: There are lots of awkward date moments in the movie. Have you guys been on any awkward dates lately?

AE:
I have a friend who went on [a] date with this girl a while ago. She said she was getting up to go to the restroom. He's waiting, five minutes goes by, and he sees her outside hailing a cab. She must have hated the date so much she just left.

KR: I can't really remember the last time I dated. Well actually, I dated a guy about 100 years ago in New York. We met at a party, he came up to me, gave me rose and got my phone number. I thought it was very sweet, but then he turned out to be a total stalker.

Q: How do you judge someone on the 10 scale?

AE: We don't really like rating people; it's brutal. Actually, everywhere we go now we're being asked to rate people. Someone will come up to us and ask, "Is she a 10? What do you think?" It's hard to rate somebody like that. Someone who is a 10 in the morning can be a one in the evening, you know what I mean? For boys, we decided what's important is being funny, talented and able to do manual labor. I think guys use the scale more than girls though.

Q: Have you ever dated someone who was out of your league?

AE: Yeah, I'm dating someone out of my league right now.

KR: Yeah I think I'm reaching a little. Well, I don't know. He's better looking than I am, but I'm a good time.

AE: I don't think you're reaching.

KR: But he's really good looking.

AE: He is good looking, but I don't think you're reaching. I think he's reaching really hard.

KR: Alice Eve, everyone.