This Is It' shows more relatable side of Michael Jackson

A pop icon's shining light was nearly extinguished five months ago by his heart-rending death. Today, that light shines on through his legendary songs and, now, in a special release that will run until the end of Thanksgiving weekend, through a concert-documentary that presents a rarely seen side of the King of Pop.

Michael Jackson's "This Is It" is a tenderly composed fusion of the multinational star's life behind-the-scenes and an exploration of what his tour of the same name — one he was never able to embark on — would have been like. Masterfully arranged from the complete 120 hours of rehearsal footage before his planned 50-concert series in London, "This Is It" is the embodiment of the raw, ambitious talent of a star whose return to the stage was tragically cut short.

The film, directed by Kenny Ortega ("High School Musical," 2006), plays like a touching homage to the Jackson that won over millions of fans throughout his unparalleled career. While Ortega (who was also the choreographer for the ill-fated tour) tends to present Jackson in a favorable and reverent light, he does so in a way that does not patronize him and brings a human fervor to his music. Ortega seems to want Jackson's actions to speak for themselves and for audiences to see his blind optimism and vibrant presence on and off the stage.

The rehearsal scenes are expertly woven together and, although many of the numbers are incomplete, the film manages to maintain a forward mobility that never lags. Although Jackson (who clearly wished to reserve his full voice for the tour itself) sings with an emotionally raw and raspy voice, this quality adds a sense of realism to the film that would have otherwise been diminished by an edited album. The performances, which often encompass a massive array of special effects and technological mastery, never detract from Jackson's stage prowess. Incredibly, the audience never loses sight of Jackson amidst all of the lights and dancers surrounding him. Jackson is in the spotlight for the entirety of the film.

That said, buyer beware: "This Is It" is in no way tabloid fodder. Viewers are shown a man who was as effervescent in his final days as he was in his precocious youth. The Michael Jackson depicted here is not the broken, emaciated silhouette that the collective media has been rehashing for the past few months. Here is a man who responds, "We'll get there," to the clouds of doubt forming amongst his not-so-confident crew. Jackson, whose perfectionism is evident in the film, strived to put on the show the entire world was waiting for. The can-do attitude Jackson so often communicates in the film is heartwarming and his inspiring rhetoric throughout really seems to bring out the best in everyone who was a part of his life.

In the end, fans are treated to a touching mosaic that highlights the gentle qualities of someone who has been scrutinized to the point of seemingly wiping out his humanity. Those looking to listen to the songs that paved Jackson's road to fame will not be disappointed. Those thinking that the film is a last-minute cash-in for anyone in close proximity to Jackson's savings, on the other hand, will be let down.

Fans of the King of Pop will undoubtedly come out of the film feeling a sweet sense of closure, and anyone looking to see Jackson in a different light from the one in which he has been shown for the past few months will be satisfied and then some. The film itself succeeds because it shows the concert as a work in progress with flaws that are far more touching than a polished, shrink-wrapped masterpiece.