Ears Open | Musical midterm motivation

If you go to Tufts, I feel that I can safely assume you've had a pretty crappy week. For most of us, last week was marked by punishing hours of coffee, late night study room sessions and get-to-know-yous with previously unopened textbooks. And guess what? We get to do it all over again this week!

I am a strong believer in the awesome power of music to lift our spirits and inspire us to persevere, even in the worst of times, so I'm departing from my usual format to present a few tracks that I think may help us all finish the week in one piece.

Everyone Deserves Music (2003) by Michael Franti and Spearhead

For when you're really down in the midterm doldrums, this is Franti at his best. His 2003 album of the same name showcases his music right at the crux between his earlier hip-hop stylings and his contemporary, reggae-pop leanings, where his sound is so perfectly his own. Put this on to start your day. Walk to class with it. See if it doesn't put things in perspective. Come on, it's all good.

Out in the Country (1975) by The Meters

When you really need to get away for a few minutes, play this song. From the New Orleans funk pioneers, this Motown-inflected jam will transport you. It may be midterms week and snowing (what's up with that, October?!), but for a few minutes you'll be sitting in a lawn chair on the Bayou, sipping a cold one. I can almost smell the barbecue...

2 More Dead (2002) by RJD2

Sometimes you've just got to get in the zone. If and when you find yourself in this position, find a quiet dark place, put on your headphones and listen to this track. This sleeper starts off ready and steady; our favorite trip-hop pirate lays down a heavy, saturated beat with expertly arranged synth and samples. It takes a little bit to warm up, but close your eyes and let it take you away. In characteristic RJ fashion, about two and a half minutes in the song will erupt into a coda of explosive horns and turntable ballistics. Now its time to put on your game face: This is Rocky IV and your econ midterm is the giant Russian. And you're going to kick its butt.

Little B*tch (1979) by The Specials

When aggression aimed at your Orgo professor is running high, dig into this bitter little song. Showcasing the best aspects of Two Tone Ska, a movement The Specials spearheaded, "Little B*tch" has the bounce of Kingston reggae coupled with the aggression of '70s British punk railing against middle-class complacency. Listen for the title at the end of the last verse, think of your most dreaded prof and I bet you'll feel a little better.

New Coat of Paint by Tom Waits (1974)

Presuming that we all make it through the brutality, we have something to look forward to on Friday night (or on Thursday, for a lucky few). When that blessed moment comes, put on this early Waits blues lounge rambler to start your evening. Put on a dress, put on a tie, and paint the town anew.   

Hopefully, this musical motivation might help a few of you get through the week. At the very least, it will provide marginal enjoyment and distraction. At best, it'll put you in a better place with a new perspective, ready to unpack your load. So keep your head up: Fortify your body with plenty of rest and Dewick pizza, your stamina with Rez lattes and your spirit with plenty of musical nourishment.

--

Charles Laubacher is a sophomore who has not yet declared a major. He can be reached at Charles.Laubacher@tufts.edu.