Wrestler talks action movies

The Daily recently had the opportunity to chat with wrestling star John Cena, the star of the newly released "12 Rounds." Cena plays Detective Danny Fisher, a New Orleans cop who puts an international criminal, Miles Jackson (Aiden Gillen) behind bars, killing his girlfriend in the process. One year later, Jackson escapes from prison and vows to avenge his girlfriend by kidnapping Fisher's fiancée, Molly (Ashley Scott) and putting the detective through 12 rounds of puzzles and tests, much like the twelve labors of Hercules. In the interview, Cena was presented with some new puzzles as he was grilled about the transition to acting, filming in New Orleans and his fear of heights.

Question: How has your experience in pro wrestling influenced your acting?

John Cena: I would compare it to the acting experience somebody gets in Broadway and making the transfer to cinema. Broadway is very open to the audience — it's very projected — whereas in movies, even the smallest movement can mean the most. I just had to learn how to calm myself down.

Q: So you've made a couple movies. How has that influenced your wrestling career, balancing time and work?

JC: It's not a problem for me. The good thing about movies is that they work the regular week, and the good thing about wrestling is that we work the weekends. Ours is a Friday, Saturday, Sunday business. It just means taking a chartered plane on Monday to set. Lose a bit of sleep, that's all.

Q: As long as you're having fun!
JC: Indeed, I wouldn't even bother doing both. It takes up your entire day.

Q: In regards to other wrestlers who have done movies, such as the Rock, would you ever decide to end your wrestling career and permanently become an actor?

JC: No. The only reason I would be physically inactive in wrestling is if I physically could no longer do it. But then I'd find some other role, maybe commentary.

Q: You worked with Mark Gordon on this movie. He produced films such as "Saving Private Ryan" (1998) and other fantastic movies. What was that like?

JC: Mark is an awesome guy. Josh McLaughlin is kind of the guy he sent to oversee the movie. But yeah, I spent a good amount of time with Mark. Mark is just a good human being to be around. Josh is sort of his right-hand man. He actually pitched me the movie and has pitched a few more. We're going to try to make another picture.

Q: "12 Rounds" was filmed on scene in New Orleans. Did it affect the experience?

JC: No, only that it made the film more genuine. We certainly didn't shove New Orleans down anyone's throat. But, you know it's there. It's one of those cities that has a distinct character like Boston, like New York. You can't fake that. Everywhere from Bourbon Street to then 9th District. It was a good scenario, the city was open arms in letting us film it.

Q: I heard you did most of your own stunts, and you're terrified of heights. How was this experience?

JC: Stunts weren't bad. But anything above three floors was when I got iffy.

Q: Yeah there was a 100-foot propel down.

JC: Yeah, 10 stories. That sucked, just out right sucked. But that only took two days, and they were the only two days I was unhappy at work. Still a pretty good run.

Q: Is there any actor or director that you'd really like to work with?

JC: Believe it or not, this is a very random reference, but Robert Duvall. I've always really loved Robert Duvall's stuff. Maybe he could be a coach or whatever. It would just be good.

Q: Do you have any good stories from being on set? Did anything crazy happen?

JC: I can sum it up with one quote: Bourbon Street never shuts down.
Q: Do you see your movie career progressing? Is it something you want to keep doing?

JC: Sure, sure. But it is the entertainment industry, which is completely dependent on the consumer. So if nobody goes and sees it, then no. But I think it'll be a success.

Q: Are you actively seeking new roles?

JC: Absolutely. Even though "The Marine" (2006) was a very basic action movie, financially it did very well, which is why it opened a lot of doors.

Q: What would you say sets "12 Rounds" apart from other action movies?

JC: Story. I think that a lot of action movies are too low-budget and waste time on constant action, or very high-budget and lose their way in giant effects and CG stuff. The reason we chose this one was because of character development and story. There's plenty of action, it's very fast-paced from the word "Go!" But you also start to care about the lead character, Danny Fisher. You start to care about his future wife, Molly. You even start to care about the bad guy. There's just a lot going on [amid] a car wreck. It's pretty cool, it keeps you attached enough to watch the whole thing. You can only watch things blow up for so long.