Better Off Ted' may be better off the air

The workplace comedy has become a staple of television over the past few years. Some these shows are wildly successful, but many try to be "The Office" and fail miserably. Even though there are some funny jokes and even a few memorable ones, "Better Off Ted" is yet another one of these dismal wannabes.
    The titular Ted, played by Jay Harrington, runs the research and development section of Veridian Dynamics. The company is always inventing new things, from weapons to food to food that can be used as a weapon. Often the inventions are less than ethical or safe for the public, but Ted's boss, Veronica (Portia de Rossi), thinks that making money is more important than keeping the public safe.
    Working in the lab to develop all of these fascinating new projects are Phil (Jonathan Slavin) and Lem (Malcolm Barrett), two brilliant and nerdy scientists. The conflict begins when Veronica asks Phil to cryogenically freeze himself for the company in the name of technology advancement. When he agrees and is accidentally thawed out a few days later, there are some bizarre side effects that worry the company.
    The other important player in the cast is Ted's crush, Linda (Andrea Anders). But because he slept with Veronica, he refuses to have another office affair. Ted tries to ignore his feelings for her even as they grow stronger every time he sees her.
    The plot of "Better Off Ted" is inanely simple. There are only five characters of interest, and most of them aren't really that interesting, especially the protagonist. While Harrington is not a bad actor, the character of Ted is too boring to hold any viewer's interest. He isn't funny, but he isn't serious, either, since he works for a company that produces dangerous consumer goods on a daily basis. He mostly just serves as a mirror for the insanity of Veridian Dynamics.
    The supporting characters are not much better. Phil and Lem's awkward interactions are supposed to be funny, but never are, due to the childish dialogue they are given in the show's script. Their fights are reminiscent of Spanky and Alfalfa from "The Little Rascals" without the cute-child factor. Ted's love interest Linda is incredibly boring, and it is very difficult to believe that intelligent and handsome Ted would ever fall in love with her.
    The only saving grace of this show is the comedic brilliance that is Portia de Rossi. Her portrayal of the ice queen Veronica is highly off-putting and incredibly funny. From the way her hair is always pulled back into a ridiculously tight bun to her inability to effectively make small talk, Veronica is the epitome of a stuck-up, no-nonsense boss.
    One aspect of the show that has potential to be funny is the ridiculous inventions that Phil and Lem are forced to design. They have to grow cow-less meat in the lab but must avoid naming the slab of meat so as not to become attached to it. They build a moldy pumpkin that can be utilized as a weapon of mass destruction by rotting people from the inside out. Veronica also worries about a killer cyborg that has been having problems distinguishing between soldiers and children.
    Possibly the funniest part of the show is the opening sequence, which shows a Veridian Dynamics commercial that documents the important discoveries the company has recently made. Narrated by de Rossi, the commercials showcase the absurdity of Veridian Dynamics. The company's inventions are designed to make a quick profit until the public realizes the worthlessness of the product and then move on to the next one.
    While the actors' skills are largely impressive, they are not given much to work with, and much of the show's dialogue falls flat. All in all, the show has a few good elements, but it really is not worth watching as an up-and-coming comedy show.

--

Starring Jay Harrington, Portia de Rossi, Jonathan Salvin, Malcolm Barrett. Airs Wednesdays at 8:30pm on ABC.