Aidekman Arts Center shows documentary 'Tokyo Streets'

Japanese fashion is characterized by eccentric individuality. Most Americans instantly recognize vibrant colors, over-the-top aesthetic qualities and what can only be called "uniqueness" as characteristic of young Japanese fashion. Yet beyond this mainstream conception, there is much of Japanese culture and fashion that remains to be explored.

The documentary "Tokyo Streets," currently being shown on the New Media Wall in the Tufts University Art Gallery, allows its audience to enter the world of Tokyo fashion and culture. The film places viewers directly into the ultra-hip metropolis of Tokyo, visually depicting the various means by which the city's inhabitants express themselves, be it fashion, dance, music or other aspects of their urban environment.

The film is the brainchild of a Swiss organization, put together by the creative designers of FashionShow.ch, a group that aims to promote fashion through DVDs and the Internet, among other media. "Tokyo Streets" attempts to illustrate how global culture affects Tokyo and how Tokyo, in turn, affects global culture. Ironically, the film is in itself a testament to globalization.

"Tokyo Streets" does not pursue any one idea; rather, it examines a variety of themes and questions relating to globalization and the idea of a global city. Through a series of short clips ranging from a few minutes to as long as 10, the film provides its audience with snippets of life along the streets of Tokyo.

The video's structure, made up of short clips that provide glimpses of city life, reflects both its purpose and function. The film depicts the city as a space for both performance and transaction, characterized by a continuous flow of people and their exchanges, both direct and indirect, with one another. Though the gallery has set the film to run continuously, when one manually navigates the film menu, one moves through the individual clips by clicking on "train stops." Each of these is a different stop on the train — thus navigating the film itself is a metaphor for physically moving through the streets of Tokyo.

The documentary does an excellent job of examining the idea of global culture. Tokyo is not shown to be a victim of global homogenization. Instead, one witnesses how global influences have shaped Tokyo's identity as a city and how the inhabitants of Tokyo have adopted these influences to create a unique metropolis. The streets of Tokyo are populated by a host of different styles and personalities which represent both the individual's need to create a self-identity and the population's need to collectively express itself.

Tokyo is not simply a product of Western influence. It, just like other urban metropolitan centers across the globe, is defined by a bilateral cultural flow. While watching the film, Western culture appears ubiquitous, from brands of fashion to American pop culture. Yet Tokyo and Asian culture affect the West just as much as the West affects the East.

Commercialism and materialism are prevalent themes throughout the film. The documentary examines the flow of information through communication modes of the Internet and the exchange of physical commercial objects such as clothing.

"Tokyo Streets" is a complex, thought-provoking film that is definitely a must-see. The film is mesmerizing, leading viewers seamlessly through a succession of clips that provide a broad glimpse of life in Tokyo. Though some may not understand the specific details regarding the places, events and fashions depicted in the film, a deep knowledge of Tokyo's unique culture is not necessary. Both visually and intellectually stimulating, "Tokyo Streets" is sure to please.

"Tokyo Streets" is playing on the New Media Wall at the Tufts University Art Gallery in the Aidekman Arts Center until March 29. Admission is free and no student ID is necessary.