Where you read it first | Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Venue Profile | Boston concert-goers find something near 'Paradise' in a fun downtown venue

Paradise. For many, this word elicits an all-too-stereotypical image of palm trees and sandy beaches. But to the music-savvy Bostonian, Paradise is a hip rock club and lounge situated near the Pleasant Street T stop on the Green Line's B train.

The Paradise opened in September 1977 and has since hosted a wide variety of up-and-coming rock acts, including U2 (in its first U.S. performance), The Police, Elvis Costello, Billy Joel, The Pixies and Coldplay. Many artists who once played the Paradise now have no choice but to play the much larger TD Banknorth Garden in Boston or the less conveniently located Tweeter Center in Mansfield, Mass.,  a mark of extreme commercial success.

While U2 won't be playing the Paradise again anytime soon, the club continues to host a wide assortment of talented acts, ranging from smaller artists — the kind that are just beginning to have their taste of stardom — to artists on the verge of huge mainstream popularity. The Paradise has also been known to let bands with a bigger draw put on two shows in a row. Tickets sold out two consecutive nights last July for MGMT. The next big-name band performing twice at Paradise will be Of Montreal on April 20 and 21.

One advantage the Paradise has over similarly sized venues in Boston, such as Orpheum Theatre or the Wilbur Theatre, is its complete absence of seats, which encourages intimacy among audience members. This is especially appealing now that the once-loved Avalon has shut down and been replaced by the House of Blues. With a setup like this, it's hard to go to a show at the Paradise without striking up a conversation and forming a one-night stand of a friendship with at least one or two fellow attendees. And the drinks sure don't hurt either.

Speaking of drinks, whether one is barely 18 or over 55, they are quite accessible. The Paradise does put on a strict front, practically shouting at the underage as they mark obnoxious black X's on younger hands, "Do not wash these off in the bathroom. Do not hold any drinks. Do not even think about looking at anyone who is drinking an alcoholic beverage." But, despite strict appearances, it is not difficult to find vodka-laden water bottles and PBR purchased by older patrons in the crowd. Food is also available in the Paradise Lounge before and during shows at the very affordable price of $4.95.

To see a show, one must first brave security, but at the Paradise, it's really not that bad. Bags aren't checked at the door, making it very easy to bring in a camera and snap photos. This is not the case at a number of other venues, where the staff  members will swipe every camera they see.

Once through the door, patrons enter a wide room with a stage at the front and can choose between the balcony and the floor. The floor is arguably the more enjoyable choice because of its proximity to the band and, in most cases, a better audience. As an added benefit, at a good show the floor will turn into a rough dance pit where pushing and shoving completely trump bumping and grinding, a refreshing change from the party scene at Tufts. It's important, however, not to end up stuck behind the inconvenient poles and to keep an eye out for splashes of beer.

With a fun atmosphere and great acts, the Paradise is definitely worth a visit, and many of the bands on the schedule are at least somewhat well-known. Upcoming shows at the Paradise Rock Club include Blitzen Trapper, OK Go, A.C. Newman, the Ting Tings, Dr. Dog, Of Montreal, Peter Bjorn and John and many more. Tickets are available on Ticketmaster or at the door. The Paradise is located at 967 Commonwealth Avenue in Boston.