Frost/Nixon' examines two misunderstood men through the lens of historical drama

Historical drama is a difficult genre. Such a film needs the proper balance of entertainment value and historical accuracy on top of all the qualities that made a quality film: good directing, strong acting and an intelligent script. Director Ron Howard is frequently guilty of exaggerating history and twisting the truth in some of his other films such as "Apollo 13" (1995) and "A Beautiful Mind" (2001). But in his latest historical drama "Frost/Nixon," Howard sticks to the facts and presents an intriguing story, all the while struggling to match the renowned quality of his earlier works.

Based on the Tony Award winning play of the same name by Peter Morgan, who also wrote screenplays for "The Queen" (2006) and "The Last King of Scotland" (2006), "Frost/Nixon" revisits the post-Watergate interviews between successful British talk show host David Frost and President Richard Nixon. The film opens with Nixon (played by Frank Langella) announcing his resignation from the presidency. Afterwards, Nixon might have slowly faded into oblivion, as the country licked its wounds from his illegal activities. But David Frost (Michael Sheen) has other plans: He wants to interview Nixon and get him to talk about what really happened during the scandal. The plan initially fails because Frost's show lacks the luster of more popular news programs, but Frost ultimately manages to outbid the other networks and get the chance to do the interview.

Both sides prepare to square off in a duel of wits, with the consensus being that Nixon's superior intelligence will overpower the flashy and unprepared Frost. Essentially, Nixon believes he will get the chance to exonerate himself of his wrongdoings with all of America watching. Frost hires Bob Zelnick and James Reston Jr. to help him prepare for the interviews and dig up information on the disgraced ex-president, but when the cameras start rolling, Nixon cleverly avoids any self-incrimination. It is up to Frost, with his filming time dwindling, to get Nixon to admit his guilt; otherwise all his efforts will have been for naught.

What stands out the most in the entire film is Langella's larger-than-life portrayal of Nixon. He does not look or speak exactly as Nixon did, but he puts on a great performance, accentuating the clever persona and dry wit of the former president. Sheen also excels as Frost, but his is a much more subtle performance. He channels the demeanor of a man who wants to be liked by all but is insecure about risking his entire career by going after Nixon.

The supporting roles are solid throughout the film, with the exception of Kevin Bacon's portrayal of Jack Brennan, Nixon's post-presidential chief of staff. Although usually reliable, Bacon looks stiff and uncomfortable throughout most of his screen time. Howard also struggles to keep the film's pace going strong before the climactic final interviews. The movie starts off with a documentary-like approach, using archival news clips and interviews with the supporting characters then suddenly switches to the plot structure of a typical film.

These relatively small shortcomings can be overlooked, however, since the interview itself is the most entertaining part of the film. As if engaged in a boxing match, Nixon and Frost try to out-duel one another on the issues of his pre-Watergate presidency, such as foreign policy dealings with China and Vietnam. Finally, with one session remaining, the focus turns to Watergate. Through Howard's directing, the film adequately presents the tension and the intensity of the topic without over-dramatizing it. Once Nixon lets his guard down, the audience sees a burdened man who has grown weary instead of the tough and curt politician he appeared to be.

Howard has created a film that has plenty of political relevance to today's world. It discusses politicians' responsibilities to both their constituents and the law, but is slightly less polished than his earlier films. The acting is noteworthy and the story is gripping at times, but the film does not always enthrall the viewer. All of these factors combine to make "Frost/Nixon" a good movie, but not the epic one it desperately strives to be.