Dance Preview | Sarabande show features soulful, diverse lineup

Amidst all of the student theater that accompanies the end of a semester, dance shows can sometimes pass by under the radar. Sarabande's newest show, "Your Hand in Mine," shouldn't have any problem attracting visitors with its combination of performances from dance groups across campus mixed with professional pieces from the Sarabande dancers themselves.

This semester's show has more than just a new name. President Rachel Zar, a senior, said, "It really reflects the motif of couples and relationships, and many of our dances in the show deal with couple issues. This is also the first time in a long time that our show hasn't been called the Sarabande Supershow, but we thought it was an appropriate time to change."

The show's previous title reflects the fact that the Sarabande fall show always incorporates many dance groups. This year the groups participating include Bhangra, BlackOut, Static Noyze, Spirit of Color, Tufts Tap Ensemble, Tufts Dance Collective and Turbo. These performances cut in between Sarabande performances to give the dancers, many of whom are in multiple routines, a rest.

Every Sarabande dance is student-choreographed, making the show's professional qualities that much more impressive. Sophomore Alyza DelPan-Monley choreographed a dance to a combination of two songs, an instrumental from "Lost" and one from the Texan instrumental group "Explosions in the Sky." Two dancers, dressed pink dresses, begin on stage in a solo duet, and as the song continues, more dancers are added to the mix.

DelPan-Monley elaborated on the concept for her piece, saying, "I was playing with the idea of soulmates, not in a cheesy way, [but] in a true, spiritual way. I wanted to represent a person pulling you through life in my dance." The effect of her dance is an incredibly moving and haunting portrayal of two people on their journey through life.

Junior Elizabeth Rodd's dance in the second half of the show is equally impressive, yet incredibly different in that she combines ballet with a synthesized rock song by The Killers. The juxtaposition of these two seemingly opposing art forms actually provides an incredibly engaging dance experience.

"I wanted an individuality for each dancer, while still maintaining the group dynamic of the dance," Rodd said. "I struggled with the music all summer, and I originally wanted a slow song, but then I decided I wanted something upbeat to dance to. It's hard every week coming in to rehearse, so I wanted a song that it would feel good to dance to."

All of the Sarabande choreographers and dancers put as much thought and love into their pieces as DelPan-Monley and Rodd. Within Sarabande, the types of routines range from lyrical and ballet to modern and jazz, and the show's style broadens even more with the addition of the other dance groups who bring Indian, tap and break-dancing styles.

The Sarabande costumes are always creative, ranging from sexy red shirts for Zar's dance to pajamas for a dream-sequence dance. Sultry costumes include purple dresses for a jazz dance and black ones for the final number "Cell Block Tango" from the musical "Chicago."

The music is well-suited to each piece. One dance, choreographed to a song by Sigur Ros, is made spiritually powerful by the music. Songs chosen include instrumental works, romantic songs, RnB and rock numbers. The joy of watching the show is that each Sarabande dance is unique, and with such variety, nothing gets redundant.

"Choreographers put a lot into the concepts of their dances, and all of the dancers work very hard to put on a good show" DelPan-Monley said. "We really try to display what professional dance is, and I think it's a great opportunity for anyone on campus to see that kind of commitment."

"Your Hand in Mine" will be performed tonight at 7 p.m. in Cohen Auditorium. Tickets can be purchased for $7 at the Aidekman box office.