FX's new 'Sons of Anarchy' fits perfectly into network's dark, gritty programming

FX has been known to take risks on its shows, and has produced quite a few great ones over the past few years; most notably "The Shield," "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" and "Rescue Me." Their newest show, "Sons of Anarchy," has a concept that is both dark and funny, a formula fairly par for the course for the network. The basic premise doesn't sound terribly exciting — members of a motorcycle gang attempt to protect their small town while running an arms business — but the astute viewer knows to expect more. Despite its flaws, "Sons of Anarchy" is proving itself to be a worthy addition to the fall lineup, thanks to a capable and occasionally exceptional cast, some clever writing and plenty of good old-fashioned violence.

The plot of "Sons of Anarchy" revolves around Jax (played by Charlie Hunnam), the son of the deceased founder of the titular outlaw motorcycle club. He takes pride in the brotherhood of the organization and is increasingly involved in the club's business, which involves running guns, paying off police and keeping meth traffickers out of the charter's fictional hometown of Charming, Calif. His stepfather Clay (Ron Perlman) is the current president of the club, and he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. Jax begins to question the aggressive direction the club is heading, but is hesitant to act because of his loyalties.

Though the pilot opens with the roar of motorcycles, a blast of rock and roll and an explosion of an arms warehouse, it surprisingly takes quite a bit of time for the action to pick up. In fact, many of the plot twists seem familiar and maybe even a little cliché. The opening scene, in which a rival club steals guns from a warehouse, feels dull and lacks context because it occurs before any main characters have been introduced. The club's business front (a garage) presents a setting for the characters to meet, act macho, conduct business and discuss family and loyalty. Typical gang dialogue is present, complete with frequent one-liners.

Thankfully, as exposition winds down, the characters become more complex and their motivations less clear. Jax discovers a memoir of sorts written by his father, expressing his original intentions for the club and the wish that his son live a normal life instead of getting committed to a life of crime. In addition, his newborn baby has numerous health problems thanks to his drug-addicted ex-wife, and he struggles with the notion that his child may die. These issues add compelling drama to the show and really engage the viewer.

Hunnam plays Jax fairly effectively, demonstrating increasing subtlety and charisma throughout the series. His performance effectively exudes his inner struggle between his responsibilities to his family and loyalty to the gang. Perlman, as always, is a commanding presence. His gruff voice and physicality bring an intimidating coolness to the role of Clay. But the biggest surprise of the cast is Katey Sagal as Jax's mother, Gemma. Far removed from Sagal's previous characters, Gemma is slick, deceitful, callous and, most importantly, supremely entertaining. Watch her verbally abuse Jax's ex-wife or inform Clay that her son is straying from the carefully-constructed organization as she proclaims, "I just want to make sure my son is following in the right father's footsteps." She definitely embodies the role of a gang wife/mother.

Allen Coulter, director of "The Sopranos," and Kurt Sutter, writer for "The Shield," make up the strong creative force behind the new series, and, in conjunction with a solid cast, "Sons of Anarchy" is a promising new series. It probably won't revolutionize television, but will surely prove to be an entertaining and compelling drama.