A-list cast saves 'Burn After Reading' from self-destruction

Only a year after their highly acclaimed "No Country for Old Men" (2007), the Coen brothers return to big-screen success with "Burn After Reading," a hilarious spy spoof that satirizes the political landscape of the modern day. While the various features of "Burn After Reading" make it worthwhile to watch, it is not quite up to par with their other, more memorable' efforts.

The story, set in Washington, D.C., is centered on various colorful characters that come from all walks of life. The Coen brothers wanted no mistakes in conveying that this is indeed a spy spoof. Thus they begin the film with an aerial map shot that zooms in until it focuses on CIA headquarters, where CIA operative Osborne Cox (played by John Malkovich) is fired from his job due to his drinking and subsequently decides to write his memoir. When the disc containing his memoir is found in the Hard Bodies fitness center, two employees, Linda Litzke (Frances McDormand) and Chad Feldheimer (Brad Pitt), decide to return the disc in exchange for a "Good Samaritan" tax. Meanwhile Cox's wife (Tilda Swinton) is cheating on him with Harry (George Clooney), who is also cheating on his wife. As events transpire, the plot thickens and characters are drawn into each other's lives, weaving a tangled, comic web of destruction and downfall.

The strength of the movie lies in its the A-list cast. Malkovich is engaging as an ex-CIA agent with an anger problem, which he counters with a drinking problem, while Tilda Swinton is a marvelously cold Mrs. Cox. Clooney does what he does best as Harry, a dim U.S. Marshal who seems to have sex on his mind 24/7. McDormand as Litzke is both stupidly selfish and selfishly stupid as she tries to find happiness and fulfillment in her life.

Pitt, who naively supports her mindless pursuit, is fantastic. He slips into this role so naturally that you'd think he has been portraying flaming idiots all his life. There are also other minor characters such as the CIA director (J.K. Simmons) and the Hard Bodies manager (Richard Jenkins) who contribute immensely to the ensemble.

After the dark and foreboding adaptation of "No Country for Old Men," the Coen brothers deliberately decided to take a step away from seriousness and opt for a more whimsical endeavor. Indeed, they seem to be having fun with the comparably light "Burn After Reading." Filled with witty dialogue and impeccable timing, the film possesses the dark and twisted humor that has become the brothers' trademark. The slapstick style, dim-witted characters and bizarre connections are reminiscent of "Raising Arizona" (1987) and "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" (2000).

Yet even as they lead audiences through this farce in which hilarity ensues in such a nihilistic fashion, the brothers make a strong statement about the shape of modern politics and, as Simmons puts it, "The Idiocy of Today."

Throughout the film, the score by Carter Burwell results in a feeling of paranoia permeating everywhere, even as Harry goes out for a simple run or Cox goes sailing with his father. Yet you can never tell whether the paranoia is justified or not. The thought that top officials are spurred by intense stupidity is also incredibly scary as it touches so close to home.

While "Burn After Reading" has many aspects that make it worth watching (if nothing else just to see Pitt dance to his iPod with a Gatorade in hand) it lacks a certain comedic maturity that prevents it from becoming an instant classic. However, for fans of the Coens, there are multiple facets to "Burn After Reading" that make it a must-watch.