Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Women’s soccer triumphant against the Bobcats

WSOC v. Conn. College

Women's soccer celebrates a goal against Conn. College on Sep. 15.

The Jumbos returned from a trip to Lewiston, Maine with a 3–1 win, improving their NESCAC record to 4–2–1.

Tufts junior forward Elsi Aires and junior defender Lena Sugrue each scored a goal in the first half. First-year midfielder Sarah Hauck scored her second goal of the 2024 season late in the 79th minute.

Aires commented on the team’s preparation prior to the game.

“We knew that winning this game was a must for rankings,” she wrote in an email to the Daily. 

As a junior, Aires is now a seasoned veteran. With 25 career goals and two seasons of Tufts playoff soccer under her belt, she understands the importance of in-conference games.

“We wanted to make sure we did not become complacent,” Aires wrote. Coming off back-to-back NESCAC wins, it is crucial to keep that momentum going and to not simply expect a positive outcome.

The Jumbos did not falter in rising to the occasion, with Aires taking the reins just over five minutes into the first half. Capitalizing on a well-placed pass from graduate student forward Nicola Sommers, Aires sent home the first goal of the day.

Aires attributed her success to the smart gameplay of her teammates, highlighting the high-caliber team chemistry that brought the ball downfield for the Jumbos’ first strike.

“It was a fantastic team goal,” she wrote.

Maintaining a non-complacent mentality, Sugrue followed suit with a goal of her own in the 21st minute, her second this season so far. On a brilliant corner from junior midfielder Caroline Kelly, Sugrue went with a perfectly placed header to make the score 2–0.

Overall, the Jumbos not only outscored but also outshot the Bobcats 18–5, with seven of the shots taken by Jumbos players being on target. 

Amidst the overall successful outcome of the game, Aires discussed specifics of what went well for the Jumbos.

“We weren’t used to playing in such windy conditions, but we were able to adapt our style of play by building out of the back on the ground,” Aires wrote. They were able to move the ball well through the backfield even when they didn’t kick it in the air due to the rough weather.

Aires also wrote about the mental part of the game and how the team’s unwavering resilience is always being refined.

“One of our biggest things as a team that we love to improve on is our grit,” she wrote.

While the Jumbos’ defense was practically impenetrable — allowing only two shots on goal — one sliver of opportunity for their opponents came in the form of a free kick that led to a well-executed shot by the Bobcats. This made the score 2–1.

While Bates kept the game close, Hauck sealed the deal for Tufts in the 79th minute. Moments after being subbed in, she finished a pass from graduate student forward Erin Duncan, extending the lead and putting away any hopes for a Bobcat comeback.

The final score was 3–1, making it the Jumbos’ third consecutive win as of Oct. 12.

Aires attributed the success of the team to current head coach Martha Whiting. Aries credited her with the team’s ability to perform in high-stakes situations.

“Coach Martha has always been the biggest supporter of practicing with as much grit and intensity as games,” Aires wrote.

While the team has had plenty of individual success, Aires attested to how important teamwork is to ensure more Jumbo victories in the future. Relying on each other and functioning as a single dynamic unit is imperative.

“Our greatest plays and goals have come from collaborative teamwork. We need to continue to play with the same energy and passion as we play our last few games of the regular season,” she wrote.

The Jumbos have quite the stacked schedule as they turn the corner toward the final stretch of the regular season; two out of their final three games are conference matchups. They will face NESCAC opponent Middlebury on Saturday.

With the NESCAC tournament on the horizon in November, the Jumbos will seek to pick up momentum as they enter the playoffs.