Where you read it first | Friday, October 4, 2024

Weekly Wellness: Find or fad?

Are these wellness products worth trying?

Weekly Wellness Graphic

Graphic by Rachel Wong

1. Sea moss

With its rapid rise to fame on TikTok and other social media platforms, sea moss has gained a reputation for solving all of one’s wellness woes. Proponents cite clearer skin, better digestion and immune function. However, according to registered dietitian and TikToker Abbey Sharp, while the alleged superfood may contain high levels of vitamin B, it also contains a high amount of iodine, which can cause problems with thyroid function in excess. It also can have concerning amounts of heavy metals, depending on where it is grown and harvested. Ultimately, you’re better off with a balanced diet and consuming dark leafy vegetables or regular seaweed for an added boost of essential vitamins and minerals.

Conclusion: Skip it.

1. Strava

It should be no surprise that the fitness-tracking app Strava has continued to grow in popularity over the last year. New runners are fanatically posting about their ‘easy’ and long runs on this platform, creating a social media network for the running community. Boasting over 100 million users, Strava claims to be the “largest sports community in the world.” While it is definitely not necessary to download any app or service to start running, a platform that encourages exercise or healthy movement can’t hurt. If it’s getting people out and moving in a way that fosters an online community, this trend seems worth it — especially if you’re looking for some extra encouragement and a way to get excited about running.

Conclusion: If it inspires you to share your exercise with the world, try it!

1. Greens powder 

With over 750,ooo followers on TikTok, Bloom Nutrition has been a leading name in the powdered greens industry. But is one magical scoop much better than just eating the vegetables themselves? Sweetened with sucralose, also known as Splenda, Bloom powders are questioned by some dietitians. Registered dietitian Christina Manian says that while Bloom claims to boost energy, support digestion and reduce bloating, the product itself isn’t backed by research and it hasn’t been tested by a third party for ingredient accuracy or purity. She further notes that while the powder contains known health foods, drying and powdering strips them of key nutrients, reducing the health benefits compared to eating the foods in their whole form.

Conclusion: Not a necessary purchase.

1. Mouth tape

For those unfamiliar with this so-called sleep hygiene trend, mouth tape is used when you place something over your mouth while sleeping to ensure that you breathe exclusively through your nose. Yes, it sounds terrifying. One seller of mouth tape strips lists the product benefits as “strengthen/define jawline, stronger chin profile, brighter eyes, wake up with way more energy, can reduce snoring and bad breath.” But what does the science say? According to Dr. Pena Orbea, a sleep medicine specialist, “Most of the evidence is anecdotal. There is not strong enough evidence to support that mouth tape is beneficial.” Additionally, sleep specialist Dr. Luisa Bazan claims that “If you’re breathing through your mouth while you’re sleeping, it’s because you can’t get the air you need through your nose,” and mentions that “taping your mouth shut while you’re sleeping could put you at risk for impaired breathing, disrupted sleep and even reduced oxygen levels.”

Conclusion: Definitely a pass from me.