Where you read it first | Monday, October 7, 2024

Wanderlust: Breaking the wall of expectations

Wanderlust1

Wanderlust: of German origin meaning “a strong desire to travel

Synonyms: restlessness, unsettledness

Etymology: German, “wander” to hike, “lust” pleasure or delight

In the past three years, I have moved somewhere new without knowing a soul five separate times. I have tried to live a nomadic life, bouncing from place to place as often as possible. Maybe I have an overdeveloped sense of restlessness. However, these short-lived, immersive experiences have taught me more than I knew possible. They have taken me across the United States and to a new continent, always meeting the most adventurous and open-minded people along the way.

Sometimes (most of the time, actually), it feels like we have no clue what we’re doing. But I think that most of us would agree that that’s at least half of the point. We make it up as we go, collecting dad lore along the way. Together with these nomads, I have made last-minute plans to go to Glacier National Park, hiked the Teton Crest Trail, flown to Ireland for Thanksgiving, rock climbed in five states and so much more. With each new adventure under my belt, it becomes easier to embark on the next.  

And so, with all the lessons I’ve learned along the way and an alarming sense of assuredness, I am diving headfirst into a new adventure in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany. My first month as a Freiburger has been full of new people, places, languages and cultures. Once again, nothing is as I expected it to be, which is strange because I had very few expectations.

I think that is perhaps the most impactful lesson of my recent nomadic years: going in blind is terrifying and also one of the most rewarding things you can do in life. Sometimes, it can be overwhelming to never know what lies ahead. However, letting go of having an exact plan gives you the wings to fly anywhere.

It’s almost a quintessential college experience to look back and think, “three-months-ago-me could have never seen this coming.” Sometimes it’s a chilling realization, but really it means that you are allowing life to be an adventure, twists and turns and all.

Shakespeare allegedly wrote, “Expectation is the root of all heartache.” Maybe that’s a little pessimistic, but I do know that life gets a lot more exciting when you let go of expectations. I have no idea what the future has in store, but I do know I will take each surprise as a moment to learn a little more about this whole life thing.

With that, welcome to “Wanderlust” where I will chronicle my study abroad experience in Germany. I hope you read and find some restless energy within yourself. After all, life is an adventure if you make it one.