Where you read it first | Thursday, October 3, 2024

The Final Whistle: Karim Adeyemi, Dortmund’s latest wunderkind

German winger shines in the Champions League.

The-Final-Whistle-Graphic
Graphic by Aliza Kibel

A combination of neat triangle passes deep into the Dortmund half was broken by the Celtic press, as Gregor Kobel launched a long ball forward. Guinea’s Serhou Guirassy was the first to react, steadying himself before gently caressing the soccer ball towards Julian Brandt with a deft touch. With runners on each side and a scrambling Celtic backline, Brandt threaded a pass into the path of Karim Adeyemi. Signal Iduna Park roared their star on as Adeyemi buried the ball beyond veteran goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel. 21.

But like his relentless playing style, Adeyemi’s opener was a mere teaser for the night. Close to the half hour mark, an overhit, outswinging corner was retrieved by the youngster who looked poised to cross before unleashing a rocket towards the near post. His muted celebration contrasted the ferocity of the strike. The floodgates had been opened. By the 42nd minute, his hat trick was complete and the game was decided. Daizen Maeda’s early equalizer was a faint memory for the traveling Scottish fans. A historic 71 thrashing.

The last Dortmund player to score a first half hat trick in a major European tournament was Márcio Amoroso in 2002, the year Adeyemi was born. Beyond his trademark of dazzling defenders with blistering pace, officially setting the record as the 2nd fastest Bundesliga player in history at 36.7 kph in 2022, Adeyemi possesses countless abilities that are often overlooked. One that complements his speed is his close control. In the 2022–23 Champions League Round of 16 against Chelsea, Adeyemi broke the deadlock with a scintillating solo run covering two-thirds of the field in a matter of seconds. While accelerating, he took around a dozen touches at top speed, subtly manipulating the ball past the defensive midfielder. His spatial awareness and timing further allow him to exploit wide positions and receive through balls on counterattacks.

Having represented Germany in the last European and World Cups, the 22-year-old has substantial major tournament experience and will be an incredible asset for the national team going forward. This season alone, Adeyemi has netted five goals in seven starts in all competitions. Moreover, his goals per 90 minutes has increased from 0.3 to 0.6 since last season, emphasizing his increasing attacking returns.

With Bayer Leverkusen’s incredible title victory last year and the regular challengers of FC Bayern Munich, Eintracht Frankfurt and RB Leipzig, it seems Dortmund’s best bet for silverware will be a cup competition. As last year’s finalists, Dortmund will be expected to reach at least the Champions League quarterfinals from where the draw's luck will decide their fate. Adeyemi’s role will be key against stronger defenses towards the competition's latter stages. Under new head coach Nuri Şahin, a former player for the team himself, Adeyemi has the spotlight and will hope to establish himself as one of the world’s elite wingers this season. Europe’s heavyweights will undoubtedly come knocking for Adeyemi’s signature next summer, but for now, his focus is dead set on breaking records and etching his name in Dortmund history.