Where you read it first | Friday, October 25, 2024

T Time: Just around the Coolidge Corner

T-time column graphic
Graphic by Emma Selesnick

This weekend, instead of watching the Head Of The Charles — which I regret not attending — I took advantage of the beautiful weather and took a trip to Coolidge Corner in Brookline. For those interested in visiting, you can take the Green Line from the Medford/Tufts station, transfer to the Green Line C branch between Government Center and Copley and take it to Coolidge Corner station. All in all, the trip took a little bit under an hour.

I have discussed this in previous columns, but I always love taking the Green Line on the western parts of its routes because of the way it weaves its way through the neighborhoods of Boston and Brookline.

After Kenmore station, the train ascends out of the ground and, all of a sudden, you are making your way to Brookline. Traveling at street level, next to cars, bikes and pedestrians, immerses you in the community in a way that traveling underground or on right of way tracks (like the Green Line Extension) does not afford.

After pressing the button to indicate that I was getting off, I hopped onto the platform and began exploring Coolidge Corner. The neighborhood gets its name from the Coolidge family, who opened the Coolidge and Brother general store in 1857. While the original store has since closed, the iconic building where the general store once stood is still standing right across from the T station and is the neighborhood’s most identifying feature. 

The opening of Coolidge and Brother spurred a wave of commercial growth in the neighborhood. That legacy is still intact today as Coolidge Corner is in many ways, the ‘downtown’ of Brookline.

One of my favorite parts of the neighborhood is the diversity in architecture. You have historic buildings like the former Coolidge and Brother store alongside single-family homes and apartment buildings. The variety in both the ages and types of buildings gives the neighborhood a lot of character.

I walked into what can best be described as a mall, except it’s in an old building, and had lunch at Ganko Ittetsu Ramen, which I highly recommend. The food is delicious, ready quickly and reasonably priced. However, for those wanting to eat something a little more familiar, there is a Taco Bell up the street.

After my lunch, with a stomach full of ramen, I continued my walk through the neighborhood. I window shopped at Boston General Store, which had a ton of cute clothes, home decorations and knickknacks.

Next, I made my way to Brookline Booksmith, in an attempt to get back into reading. Unfortunately, I did not buy anything, but my goal to read more remains.

Lastly, I stopped at Eureka! Puzzles & Games, which as the name suggests, has a ton of cool puzzles and games.

I had a wonderful little afternoon in Coolidge Corner, and I highly recommend checking out the neighborhood if you have the time.