Where you read it first | Thursday, October 17, 2024

In their father’s footsteps: The greatest family dynasties in sports

Talent carries over through generations in these famous families.

Archie and Peyton Manning

Archie and Peyton Manning speaking at a conference in 2017.

Legacy can be tricky. In any field, when your name carries weight, the expectations that come with it can be suffocating. But in sports, it’s a different kind of pressure. It’s not just about living up to the name on your jersey, it’s about expanding upon the greatness that you inherited.

A handful of fathers and sons have managed to meet, and even exceed, that impossible bar. These are dynasties that span decades, creating highlights that transcend eras. These families have defined what it means to build a legacy that has been talked about for generations.

The Griffeys

Ken Griffey Sr. was a respected player long before he shared the field with his son. As a key cog of the Cincinnati Reds’ “Big Red Machine,” he helped secure back-to-back World Series titles in 1975 and 1976. His career was a model of consistency: He commanded a .296 batting average, over 2,100 hits and three All-Star selections. During his peak in 1976, Griffey Sr. hit .336 for the season, a close second to the National League batting title.

It was his son, Ken Griffey Jr., who took the family legacy and turned it into a phenomenon. By the time he retired, “the Kid” had become one of baseball’s all-time greats with 630 home runs, 2,781 hits and 1,836 RBIs over 22 seasons. Known for his smooth swing and stellar defense in center field, Junior blew past all expectations. He won 10 Gold Gloves and was a 13-time All-Star, adding a 1997 AL MVP to cap off his Hall-of-Fame resume.

But Griffey Jr. was more than numbers. He was cool. The backward hat, effortless swing and infectious love for the game made him a hero to a generation of fans. He was baseball’s icon, with his own Nike shoe and even a video game. He brought a swagger to baseball that it desperately needed, and his influence extended beyond the diamond.

The iconic moment came in 1990 when both Griffeys suited up for the Seattle Mariners.

In a Sept. 14 matchup with the Anaheim Angels, they created the most unforgettable father-son moment in sports history by hitting back-to-back home runs. In the top of the first inning, Griffey Sr. launched an 02 pitch over the left field fence for a two-run homer. Four pitches later, Junior blasted an opposite field bomb of his own. They remain the only time a father and son have hit back-to-back homers in MLB history.

This moment perfectly encapsulated what the Griffeys represented: shared greatness, family legacy and pure joy for the game. Together, they combined for over 4,900 hits and 782 home runs, but nothing quite tops that night in Anaheim.

The Hulls

In hockey, few names are as synonymous with scoring as Hull. Bobby Hull, known as “the Golden Jet,” was one of the National Hockey League’s first true superstars. With his blistering slapshot and unmatched speed, Hull revolutionized the game during his time with the Chicago Blackhawks, amassing 610 career goals and winning the Hart Memorial Trophy as the league’s MVP twice. He led the NHL in points three times and was the top goal scorer seven times.

His son, Brett Hull, took his father’s legacy and pushed it even further. Known as “the Golden Brett,” like his father, Brett was a goal-scoring machine. Over his 19-year career, Hull racked up 741 goals, placing him fifth on the all-time list. His greatest season came in 199091, when he scored 86 goals, ranking third most all-time in a single season, earning him his own Hart Trophy.

The Hulls are still the only father-son duo to both win the NHL’s MVP award. Though they played in different eras and brought their own unique styles to the ice, together, they combined for more than 1,350 goals, cementing their family name as one of the greatest in sports.

The Mannings

The Manning family legacy in the NFL begins with Archie Manning. Drafted second overall in 1971, Archie spent most of his career with the New Orleans Saints, enduring losing records in each of his 13 seasons. His ability to scramble out of his often poorly protected pocket earned him two Pro Bowl selections in 1978 and 1979. However, perhaps Archie’s most impressive accomplishment is the football dynasty he created, with two of his sons surpassing his own achievements.

Peyton Manning, Archie’s middle son, rewrote the record books. Drafted first overall by the Indianapolis Colts in 1998, Peyton won an NFL-record five MVP awards, led two franchises to Super Bowl victories and retired after 17 seasons as one of the most decorated passers in league history. His command of the offense earned him the nickname “the Sheriff,” and his 539 career touchdowns and 71,940 passing yards place him among the greatest quarterbacks ever.

Eli Manning, also a first overall pick, made his mark in high-pressure situations. Though not as dominant in the regular season as his older brother, Eli’s legacy was made in the postseason. He led the New York Giants to two improbable Super Bowl wins, both against the dynasty of the New England Patriots, earning the Super Bowl MVP honors in each game. His iconic pass to David Tyree in Super Bowl XLII, known as the “Helmet Catch,” became one of the most unforgettable moments in NFL history. Manning finished his career with 57,023 passing yards and a legacy as one of the most clutch performers in Giants history.

And the Manning saga isn’t finished. Arch Manning, Archie’s grandson and the next in line, is currently playing quarterback at Texas, continuing the family’s legacy and hopefully setting the stage for another generation of Manning quarterbacks.