Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 23, 2024

In the Crease: The NHL season starts with a bang

Favorites and surprise contenders are among the early frontrunners in the NHL.

FIXED graphic for Zach Gerson's column "In The Crease"

Graphic by Richie Han Kyaw

The 2024–25 NHL season is off to an exciting start. From teams off to surprising starts, teams off to disappointing starts and everything in between, these first few days of the season are just the beginning of all the intriguing NHL action to come.

Some teams have of course had more promising starts than others, which is customary for the beginning of every season in every sport. In this edition of “In The Crease,” we will take a look at the teams off to the best starts.

New Jersey Devils

Coming into the season, fans had extremely high expectations for the Devils. After a disappointing 2023–24 season, big moves were made in the offseason that made the Devils legitimate Stanley Cup contenders. Fortunately for the Devils, they have so far lived up to the hype, with a 5–2–1 start, good for 11 points. The acquisition of goaltender Jacob Markstrom, as well as the return to health of many of their top players such as center Jack Hughes, have been major factors in contributing to the club’s strong start to the season. Injuries brought down the Devils last season, so it is key for them to stay healthy this season. If they do, their ceiling is easily the Stanley Cup if all the pieces come together nicely.

Dallas Stars

Not surprising in the least bit, the Stars are off to a strong start this new season with a 5–1–0 record. In addition, the Stars already have two shutouts in only six games, which goes to show how strong their team defense and goaltending are. Coming off a Western Conference Finals exit last season, it is time for the Stars to take the next step and make their way to the Stanley Cup Final. After multiple seasons of great success, it feels as if this is their time, and their extremely strong start to the season could very well be a preview of that.

Utah Hockey Club

The Utah Hockey Club has been one of the best stories from around the NHL so far this season. New franchise, no problem! The NHL’s newest franchise has a 4–1–1 record in their first-ever six games and has been playing extremely well. The team has been displaying their speed and young talent, and the fans in Utah have been loving it so far. Forward Dylan Guenther has been one of the best players of the young season with five goals already, as well as many other young pieces stepping up. This strong start all but confirms the bright future that the Utah Hockey Club has.

Calgary Flames

No team has had a more surprising start than the Flames. Entering the season, the consensus was that it would be a rebuilding year for the Flames. However, so far, it seems as if the team has no interest in any of that. The club is off to a 4–0–1 start, and the vibes in Calgary are pretty good right now. Of course, the NHL has a long 82-game season and things could change, but for now, the Flames are one of the league’s hottest teams and are one of the best stories so far.