Where you read it first | Friday, October 25, 2024

Field hockey interrupts Middlebury’s record-breaking 43-game win streak

Jumbos prevail against reigning conference champions

1.jpg

Tufts field hockey plays against Middlebury on Saturday, winning 2–1.

This Saturday, Tufts field hockey took down the then No. 1 Middlebury College, putting an end to Middlebury’s historic 43-game winning streak with an exceptional 2–1 victory on Ounjian Field.

“We have a lot of talented players and they keep pushing the standard higher and higher and we were excited and up for the challenge of playing Middlebury,” Head Coach Tina Mattera wrote in an email to the Daily.

This excitement was evident in the team’s energy which never once faltered throughout the intense and evenly-matched game. Both Jumbo goals were scored by senior midfielder Kayleigh McDonald, who was subsequently named NESCAC Player of the Week for her effort all around the field. Middlebury out-shot Tufts 10–8; however, Tufts had more penalty corners at 6–4, two of which they were able to convert into goals.

Although Middlebury had a seemingly strong start against Tufts, the game remained scoreless after the first quarter. Both teams were neck and neck until McDonald scored the first goal of the game and her first of the season on a penalty corner in the second quarter. Assisted by graduate student midfielder Andrea DelGiudice, McDonald swiftly deflected the shot in between her legs and into the goal for an astonishing finish.

Despite the Jumbos being ahead 1–0 at halftime, both teams returned to play even more determined, neither one backing down.

Halfway through the third quarter, the Panthers responded with a goal by Hanna Medwar assisted by Claire McMichael. Entering the final quarter tied 1–1 but undeterred, the Jumbos managed to seal the deal with another goal on yet another penalty corner in the fourth quarter. This time assisted by sophomore midfielder Reagan Malo, McDonald was once again able to put the ball in the back of the cage with seven minutes left in the game.

Also crucial to the victory was junior goalie Lydia Eastburn who made five impressive saves and played remarkable defense throughout the match. As Middlebury pulled their goalie to add an extra field player in the final three minutes of the game, the Tufts defense remained impenetrable and secured the win.

The game was a dedication game played in honor of Morgan Rodgers, who played lacrosse at Duke University and died in 2019 after battling with anxiety and depression. Morgan’s Message, created by Rodgers’ friends and family, works to eliminate stigma around athletes’ mental health and to prioritize mental wellbeing as much as physical health. The organization works to remind athletes that they are humans first and foremost.

Tufts has had a successful season so far with an overall 11–2 record, having lost only to Williams College and Wesleyan University, each by one goal. This significant victory, the latest in their 5-game win streak, moves Tufts field hockey to third in the NESCAC with a conference record of 7–2.

With two more regular season games remaining before heading into playoffs, the Jumbos will utilize the momentum of this win against the Panthers, to, as coach Mattera wrote, “continue to believe in ourselves and play even better hockey down the stretch.”

The Jumbos will face the Roger Williams University Hawks on Oct. 27 in a non-conference game while celebrating their Senior Day, before returning to conference play to take on the Bowdoin Polar Bears at home to wrap up the regular season.