Where you read it first | Thursday, October 24, 2024

Editorial: Our guide to the Massachusetts ballot questions

Massachusetts is voting on five state ballot questions this November: Here’s how we think you should vote.

IMG_8999.jpg
The Massachusetts State House is pictured on May 10.

On Election Day, Massachusetts residents will be voting on five state ballot questions. These questions cover a wide variety of topics, including standardized testing, restaurant wages and psychedelic drugs. The Daily’s Editorial Board has taken a position on each of the five questions.

Question 1: Auditing the state legislature

Our verdict: Yes

Like many other states, Massachusetts has an elected state auditor, who is in charge of making sure state agencies act in accordance with the law. While the current state auditor, Diana DiZoglio, has access to a wide range of state documents and records, she lacks the authority to evaluate the state legislature itself. A “Yes” vote on Question 1 would give her this power. DiZoglio supports this change, explaining that the Massachusetts state legislature is one of the least transparent in the country and arguing that oversight is needed to ensure legislators comply with hiring, training, purchasing and security rules. Legislative leaders oppose this change, and the legislature will likely have a lot of leeway to resist investigations from the auditor’s office should the question pass. However, in a state where many residents see the legislature as unproductive and lacking transparency, this is a much-needed reform that, regardless of its efficacy, would send a powerful message about voters’ concerns with their elected officials.

Question 2: Eliminating the MCAS graduation requirement

Our verdict: Yes

The Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System, better known as “MCAS,” is a set of standardized tests that students must pass to graduate from public high schools in the state. While each school district sets its own local graduation requirements, high schoolers also need to pass their MCAS exams to get state approval. A “Yes” vote on Question 2 would still require students to take the test, but it would eliminate a passing MCAS score as a requirement to graduate. It’s true that students have multiple chances to take the MCAS and the vast majority of them earn a passing grade, but the test is a disservice to English language learners and students with learning disabilities, who struggle with standardized testing. By eliminating the requirement, the MCAS becomes a lower-stakes ordeal, freeing up teachers who are forced to “teach to the test” and giving individual districts more discretion to set standards that match the needs of their students. Eliminating the MCAS requirement does not mean a complete lack of state oversight; district curricula would still be informed by state education standards, and the state could eventually replace the MCAS rule with a set of required courses, similar to what students need to graduate in nearly every state in the country.

Question 3: Allowing unionization for rideshare drivers

Our verdict: Yes

Currently, Uber and Lyft drivers do not have the power to form a union in Massachusetts. A “Yes” vote on Question 3 would create a path to unionization for rideshare workers. This process, known as sector-based bargaining, would provide union coverage for the entire rideshare sector. This method of bargaining is popular across Europe, but largely untested in the United States. The goals of the ballot question are simple: to improve wages, benefits and working conditions for drivers. While the ballot question is likely to face legal challenges if it passes, the language of the question is detailed, thoroughly explaining the unionization process in an effort to thwart any legal concerns. Opponents of the question have warned that unionization would likely increase the prices of rides, but New York City successfully implemented a pay standard for drivers without a dramatic uptick in costs. Furthermore, a successful union could make Massachusetts a national model for sector-based bargaining, bringing increased stability and benefits to gig workers across the country.

Question 4: Legalizing psychedelic drugs

Our verdict: No

Psychedelic drugs, including psilocybin, DMT, psilocyn, mescaline and ibogaine, are currently illegal both federally and statewide. A “Yes” vote on Question 4 would make them legal at the state level, allowing them to be grown and shared by Massachusetts residents, and clearing the way for the creation of therapy centers where residents could use psychedelics under the guidance of medical professionals. Drugs like psilocybin have been shown to effectively treat a variety of mental health conditions, but much less is known about the other drugs. While the creation of therapy centers would be a step in the right direction, the proposed plan for at-home and personal use comes with very little oversight to ensure users’ safety. Allowing residents to grow psychedelics and share them with anyone is a dangerous proposal, since many of these drugs are associated with life-threatening cardiac problems and long-lasting neurological effects. Given that the therapy centers will be expensive and may take years to open, most residents will likely opt for home use, bringing heightened risks to an already legally fraught issue.

Question 5: Phasing out the tipped minimum wage

Our verdict: Yes

In Massachusetts, tipped workers like waitstaff, bartenders and manicurists have a “tipped minimum wage” of $6.75, meaning they can be paid as little as $6.75 per hour with the assumption that their tips make up the difference to the state minimum wage of $15. A “Yes” vote on Question 5 would gradually phase out this system, requiring employers to pay their staff the full $15 per hour by 2029. This change is likely to lead to increased wages in a sector where many workers struggle financially; median pay for tipped employees in Massachusetts is under $17 per hour. Opponents of the question, including the Committee to Protect Tips, have criticized the question’s proposed tip pooling system, which would allow employers to split up tips with back-of-house workers as well, but businesses are not required to adopt this change. Although this change may force businesses to increase prices and service fees for customers, the gradual rollout of the new system means that the vast majority of businesses will be able to adapt and survive. Additionally, this change could help to mitigate the effects of tip discrimination, ensuring that every employee, regardless of their background, gets a fair baseline wage.