Where you read it first | Sunday, September 15, 2024

When politics gets spicy

Have politics become a new sales tactic?

Spicesign.jpg

A sign outside Penzeys Spices on the day of Kamala Harris' first rally in Milwaukee, Wis., is pictured.

When Republicans from around the country gathered in Milwaukee, Wis. this past July for the Republican National Convention, they were greeted with a sign reading “Welcome Future Fake Electors.” The poster referenced the attempt made by several states, including Wisconsin, to keep Donald Trump in power by substituting the legitimate electors with fake ones. The sign was not, as one might expect, displayed at a progressive non-profit or another likely site for liberal dogma. Instead, the message came from the storefront window of Penzeys Spices.

Penzeys Spices is a Wisconsin-based spice company that has made a name for itself with its unrelenting anti-Republican stances. In addition to chicken rubs and herb mixes, the company sells politically themed spice collections like a “January 6 Box” and individual spices such as “Justice” and “Twilight’s Last Gleaming?” Penzeys has come under scrutiny in the past for their newsletters, which have dubbed Republicans as the “#1 threat to this country” and “the party of open ‘textbook’ racism.

It may seem unorthodox for a spice company to be politically outspoken, but Penzeys isn’t alone: Many companies are increasingly using politics in their marketing. For example, Nike received backlash in 2018 for its advertising campaign featuring former NFL player Colin Kaepernick, who often kneeled during the pre-game national anthem in protest of racial injustice. Additionally, Ben & Jerry’s first ad campaign in over a decade focused on issues such as gay pride, gun violence and racial justice, calling on consumers to “Make Some Motherchunkin’ Change.” Target has also sold pride-themed merchandise for over a decade.

As corporations continue to engage in politics, consumer purchases have become more nuanced. Now, supporting these companies can also mean endorsing the values they align with. A person’s morning cup of coffee can indicate whether they side with the conservative ideals of Black Rifle Coffee or support the liberalism of Starbucks. Cracking open a Bud Light may indicate your support for the LGBTQ+ community, whereas sipping on Conservative Dad’s Ultra Right Beer indicates the opposite. Seasoning your pizza with Penzeys salt transforms it into a progressive pie.

Commentators have described the evolution of companies from mere proprietors to political juggernauts of liberal social values as “woke capitalism.” Such a phenomenon can perhaps be attributed to the changing demands of consumers, especially younger buyers. One study found that Millennials and Gen X are more inclined to support brands that affiliate with progressive beliefs. Another survey showed that Gen Z believes brands should be making a social impact.

Evidence indicates that companies do benefit by aligning themselves with progressive issues. SP Global found a positive correlation between a company's financial performance and its alignment with environmental, social and governance issues. For instance, Nike’s ad campaign starring Colin Kaepernick won the company an Emmy and increased their stock’s value by 5%. Following a Penzeys newsletter that criticized Republicans, the company’s sales rose nearly 60%.

On the other hand, companies can quickly pivot when they receive backlash for their stances.  This past summer, Target scaled back its pride selection significantly following criticism and threats from conservative customers. Such a willingness to forgo their political beliefs raises questions over the legitimacy of the brand’s alleged values. After all, couldn’t a multi-billion dollar company such as Target not only withstand boycotts, but even donate some of their pride merch revenue to an LGBTQ+ nonprofit?

The unfortunate reality is that corporations are entangled in a perilous balancing act. They not only have to satisfy the preferences of consumers, but also meet the demands of stakeholders, shareholders and employees. The result is often milquetoast stances that are hollow of legitimate conviction and fueled by a fear of otherwise disengaging consumers with their apathy. Certainly, there are non-adherent companies — such as Penzeys — that forgo satisfying the masses and instead carve out a niche market for themselves. Given that corporations are inherently economic actors, however, one must question the end goal of their political activism: Is it to encourage change or to merely sell products? As such, consumers must take every corporation’s advocacy with a grain of salt.