Where you read it first | Thursday, September 26, 2024

The specter of isolationism

A specter is haunting America — the specter of isolationism.

harrisforeignpolicy.jpg

As the American presidential election heats up and both former President Donald Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris begin to announce their policies, one major point is conspicuously absent: America’s role on the global stage. Trump is likely to favor his America First strategy, which would see America give up its position as the defender of democracy on the world stage and retreat into its own isolated pocket. Harris’ position is neither well-articulated nor complete. She claimed at the Democratic National Convention that “as president, [she] will never waver in defense of America’s security and ideals.” However, there isn’t much evidence that Harris and the Democratic Party are even remotely ready to uphold those words. In the Democratic Party’s Platform, only one out of the nine chapters focuses on foreign policy, most of which merely repeats President Joe Biden’s existing strategies. This lack of focus by both parties leaves America dangerously unprepared to navigate a rapidly deteriorating international situation.

Now in the year 2024, the world has been set ablaze by various conflicts that have caused the global order to crumble around us. In Europe, Russia continues its ruinous war against Ukraine, with every day that passes bearing news of another bombed hospital or school. In the Middle East, the war in Gaza rages on, shedding both innocent Palestinian and Israeli lives. The ghost of the Islamic State group, which was vanquished only five years ago, has resurfaced. ISIS and its affiliates in Africa and Central Asia are now threatening governments and civilians alike. This year alone, the Islamic State group’s Afghanistan affiliate, has carried out two attacks in Russia and Iran, which have killed hundreds. They also unsuccessfully planned attacks on a Taylor Swift concert in Vienna and a Jewish Center in New York. In Africa, Sudan’s civil war persists without much international attention and has already sent millions to neighboring countries. In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, tensions between the central Congolese government and Rwanda threaten to spill over into another deadly war. In Asia, Myanmar’s military junta continues a bloody war against its own people in a last-ditch attempt to hold on to power.

It is not just the active conflicts that have poisoned the liberal world order; democracy is in full retreat and the forces of tyranny are taking notice. In Europe, far-right parties such as National Rally and Alternative for Germany are making gains at an unprecedented rate and are on the cusp of entering mainstream politics. In Venezuela, President Nicolás Maduro recently dismissed a democratic election and seized control of the country, furthering its collapse and adding to the millions of refugees that have headed toward the southern U.S. border. The governments of Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso have all been overthrown in the last two years. Many nations including El Salvador, Georgia, Tunisia, Thailand and India are also shifting away from democratic consensus and pivoting towards the path of autocracy, and America remains inactive in most of these areas.

America used to be a global leader in upholding order and freedom. While our track record is not perfect, America has made substantial efforts to defend individual and collective rights using its economic and political capabilities. However, since the emergence of Trump and the rise of the “Make America Great Again” movement, America has become increasingly isolationist and forgotten the rest of the world. We cannot allow this to continue.

America needs to become more active on the international stage and counter any threat that may emerge. The withdrawal of America from global affairs will only lead to more cases like Afghanistan, where our withdrawal led to a collapsed government, increased terrorism and the degradation of basic human rights. This is the result of American complacency. Not only does America’s involvement abroad benefit foreign nations, it also advances U.S. interests. Support for fragile democracies abroad would safeguard American safety by weakening threats posed by political extremism, mass uncontrolled migration and the rise of autocratic regimes. It would also deal the death blow to terrorism and, finally, bring an end to the long-floundering war on terror.

Not only would increasing cooperation with the rest of the world bring political safety, but it would also bring tremendous economic benefits. Currently, global economic bodies like the World Trade Organization are paralyzed by a lack of enforcement and political impasse. Breaking through these challenges would reinvigorate trade and bring more value to the American economy. With American goods still competitive and in high demand globally, increased government involvement in the globalized economy should not only create more high-tech jobs but also renew the manufacturing and service sectors.

American voters are currently plagued by the decisions of this election. Domestically, there seem to be problems around every corner. However, we cannot lose sight of America’s international standing and direction. Should either candidate win the election, voters should not be content with quick fixes to the domestic order. We need to push for a more cooperative, U.S.-led coalition that includes both our allies and other nations that have fallen out of the liberal world order. American isolationism will do nothing for America or the rest of the world. America must face the coming storm of global issues challenging humanity head-on and reclaim its role as the arsenal of democracy in the 21st century.