Where you read it first | Wednesday, September 18, 2024

The Round-off Roundup: What’s happening outside the gym?

Top gymnasts are keeping busy after the Olympics.

The Round-off Roundup.jpeg

We’re at the time in the four-year cycle of gymnastics when most of the top gymnasts take a break from training following the Olympics. Let’s catch up on what everyone has been up to outside their training!

Jordan Chiles has been going nonstop since the Olympics. Chiles walked the runway in a floral light blue and silver satin bodysuit for the Kim Shui Spring collection at New York Fashion Week at the start of September. She then presented the award for best collaboration at the VMAs, where rapper Flavor Flav surprised Chiles with a bronze clock, meant to symbolically replace the Olympic floor bronze medal that was taken from Chiles and re-awarded to Romanian gymnast Ana Bărbosu following a dispute about the timing of an inquiry submitted during competition. Chiles will later be appearing on Simone Biles’s Gold Over America Tour.

Suni Lee has also been enjoying New York City after permanently relocating there in September. She also made several appearances at New York Fashion Week, attending the Off-White and Tommy Hilfiger shows among many others while working with stylist Brian Meller. Lee was interviewed during Fashion Week for Vogue’s “Celebrity Style.”

“Pommel Horse Guy” Stephen Nedoroscik is officially set to premiere on “Dancing with the Stars” with partner Rylee Arnold. Nedoroscik was originally slated to appear on the Gold Over America Tour but instead opted to be the first male gymnast to compete on DWTS. Nedoroscik follows in the footsteps of the many female gymnastics stars who have appeared before, including Aly Raisman, Laurie Hernandez, Nastia Liukin, Shawn Johnson and Biles, among others. Members of the Gold Over America Tour tour cast paid a visit to Nedoroscik during rehearsals in Los Angeles.

Many of the other top American gymnasts are actively rehearsing for Biles’s Gold Over America Tour, which is scheduled to stop for two shows in Boston on Oct. 6 and 7 at TD Garden. From the men’s side, we can expect to see most of the 2024 Olympians and alternates, including Brody Malone, Fred Richard, Paul Juda, Donnell Whittenburg and Shane Wiskus. Ian Gunther was also recently added to the tour lineup and has been sharing videos from behind the scenes of rehearsal. Another exciting addition to the tour is Casimir Schmidt, a member of the Dutch 2024 Olympic team.

On the women’s side, Jade Carey, Joscelyn Roberson, Trinity Thomas and Hezly Rivera are slated to appear. Rivera has begun her official NCAA visits in between Gold Over America Tour tour rehearsals, making her first visit to the top-rated University of Florida program. Biles has also invited retired UCLA standouts Peng-Peng Lee and Katelyn Ohashi. Ellie Black of Canada and Mélanie de Jesus dos Santos of France (rocking a new haircut!) join Schmidt as international members of the tour. Unfortunately, Shilese Jones is no longer scheduled to appear, as she is three weeks postoperative following her ACL tear at the Olympic Trials.

Outside of the United States, Rebeca Andrade appeared at the NFL Packers vs. Eagles game in São Paulo, Brazil. Filipino-British gymnast Jake Jarman of the British Olympic team did a photoshoot for Vogue Philippines. Japanese gymnasts Kaya Kazuma, Hashimoto Daiki and Tanigawa Wataru made the opening pitches for the Japanese professional baseball team the Chiba Lotte Marines.