Where you read it first | Sunday, September 15, 2024

Summer 2024 movie round-up

A lot of films came out this summer. Here’s what you actually need to see, according to our Arts writer.

Summer 2024 movies

The posters for "Twisters," "Trap," and "Blink Twice" are pictured.

This summer seemed to fly by, especially if you spent half of it at the movies watching film after film. Films came out every weekend between June 1 and August 31, from sci-fi to coming-of-age to Marvel releases. While many films were highly anticipated, a few stood out.

Here are some of the notable films of summer 2024 (with no spoilers!):

Trap

If you’re looking for a good movie with impactful writing, fun plot twists and an overall understanding of world-building, “Trap” is not the one for you. However, if you’re looking for a thriller mixed with pure fun or are trying to soak up the dregs of summer vacation, give it a try. “Trap” follows father-daughter duo Cooper, played by Josh Hartnett, and Riley, played by Ariel Donoghue, as they attend a pop star’s concert. During the concert, Cooper discovers the FBI are closing in on him for the murder of several people, and while Riley is entertained by her idol, he continues to find new ways to escape custody and defy authority. None of it actually makes sense, despite director M. Night Shyamalan’s attempts. However, while it’s full of unexpected and unearned twists and turns, “Trap” is a perfectly good summer movie to watch with your friends — and it doesn’t hurt that the original music performed in the film is amazing and available to listen to anywhere.

“Alien: Romulus”

An incredible addition to the “Alien” franchise, “Alien: Romulus” manages to blend sci-fi and horror in a riveting way. Directed by Fede Álvarez, “Alien: Romulus” follows a crew of space laborers who explore an abandoned ship in hopes of finding a way out of their perpetual contracts. Things quickly take a turn when they unknowingly awaken something deadly on the ship. Plot twist after plot twist grasps and holds onto your attention, yet the characters themselves are what make this a truly great film. The cast is full of amazing performances, from the empathetic Kay, played by Isabela Merced, to Rain, played by Cailee Spaeny, who brings the entire crew together. David Jonsson steals the show as Andy, Rain’s synthetic brother, with his sweet, well-intended dad jokes and cutthroat survival decisions. Between the brilliance of the high stakes and the relatability of the characters, “Alien: Romulus” easily takes its place as a top movie of the summer.

“Deadpool & Wolverine”

No one can discuss the movies of the summer without mentioning the newest Marvel Cinematic Universe installment, “Deadpool & Wolverine” — and it is fantastic. Highly anticipated for the right reasons, this team-up between Deadpool, played by Ryan Reynolds, and Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman, was a win for the summer — and for Disney. This movie is vulgar, dirty, action-packed and full of cameos that will have any Marvel fan on the edge of their seat. While the villains are mediocre, Deadpool’s witty humor and middle finger to Disney make this movie a top-notch experience — the opening sequence alone is worth the movie ticket. Simply put, this film does not take itself seriously and that’s what makes it “Deadpool & Wolverine.”

“Blink Twice”

Joining us late in the party is “Blink Twice,” Zoe Kravitz’s directorial debut. In the psychological thriller, Frida, played by Naomi Ackie, and her best friend Jess, played by Alia Shawkat, join tech billionaire Slater, played by Channing Tatum, and his friends on his private island in a seemingly unending summer. While the film starts off slow, a sense of unease is quickly present as the island summer becomes more and more unsettling. As the women on the island begin to put the puzzle pieces together, the film’s tone almost completely shifts to thriller. The film is baked with many powerful performances and emotional moments, and the final twist will quite literally make you blink twice from shock. With creative storytelling techniques, beautiful shots and a captivating premise, “Blink Twice” is a must watch.

“Twisters”

In an effort to save the best for last, the standalone sequel to the 1996 blockbuster hit, “Twisters,” is a thrilling ride fit with a dynamic cast, beautifully terrifying visuals and an amazing soundtrack. The sequel follows Kate, played by Daisy Edgar-Jones, a former storm chaser who leaves Oklahoma for New York after a science experiment gone wrong results in the death of three of her friends. However, when an old friend calls her for help, she returns home to test a new tornado scanning system. “Twisters” does the sequel right, as it helps to elevate the ideas of the original. The 2024 film updates key parts of the 1996 classic, with fully realized characters, the horror of a slew of tornadoes and the humanity that hangs in the balance of a society destroyed by a seemingly unstoppable monster. Twisters” manages to breathe fresh life into the movie-going experience, and is truly worth your buck. And if you have a chance to catch this film before it leaves theaters, run, don’t walk to the nearest 4D theater to experience “Twisters” in all its glory.