Where you read it first | Wednesday, September 18, 2024

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens in Concert” is a triumph at Symphony Hall

Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops brought John Williams’ iconic score to life.

boston pops bow.jpg

Boston Pops bow after performance of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens in Concert."

On Sep. 6, thousands of fans poured into Boston’s Symphony Hall for a performance that was far from your typical night at the orchestra. While some audience members dressed business casual, others opted for outfits and paraphernalia from a galaxy far, far away, as the Boston Pops delivered an immersive performance of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (2015).

In a masterful blend of cinema and live orchestration, audience members watched the film on a large screen above the stage, as the 88-piece orchestra accompanied the film with a live performance of John Williams’ legendary score. Conducted by longtime maestro Keith Lockhart, the Pops delivered a stunning performance, made all the more powerful by the emotional weight of J.J. Abrams’ film, set thirty years after the conclusion of the original “Star Wars” trilogy.

“The Force Awakens” sees the sinister First Order’s rise to power under the leadership of Kylo Ren, as new heroes like Rey and Finn join forces with familiar faces in a desperate attempt to save the galaxy. The film was celebrated for capturing the nostalgia of the original trilogy and bringing a jolt of energy to a dormant franchise with a new generation of characters. The same can be said of the music, which blends iconic leitmotifs like “Princess Leia’s Theme” with exciting new melodies. In their live performance, the Pops complemented the film’s action without overpowering it, allowing the audience to hear nearly every line of dialogue clearly while enjoying Williams’ grandiose score.

Lockhart, who will be celebrating his 30th anniversary as conductor of the Pops next year, was nothing short of astounding. Under his direction, the orchestra remained perfectly synchronized with the film, aided by computer technology that allowed him to seamlessly cue the players in time with the action on screen. If you closed your eyes, you could almost imagine you were watching the original film in a movie theater — albeit with the sound quality of one of the best orchestras in the world.

As in many of Williams’ scores, the orchestra’s sensational performance elevated cinematic moments of both good and evil. The Pops used the powerful lower brass and string sections to accentuate the villainy of Kylo Ren and the First Order, adding layers of darkness to an already terrifying environment. The orchestra brought additional vitality to action-packed scenes, like the attack of the Rathtars on the Millenium Falcon, which ends with a triumphant crescendo of horns as our heroes make their escape.

While Williams’ scoring is known for its energetic sequences (think of the first blast of horns that accompanies the “Star Wars” logo), his compositions are most breathtaking in their quiet, reflective moments. Led by strings and woodwinds, “Rey’s Theme” features an exquisite flute solo that contrasts beautifully with the swelling brass and crashing percussion of the film’s action sequences. The delicate woodwinds and pensive strings softened the score’s intensity, creating an emotional balance that guides audiences through the ups and downs of the film.

A particularly moving moment comes during “Princess Leia's Theme,” which feels like a warm embrace, bringing a sense of comfort and familiarity to the audience as General Leia makes her first appearance onscreen (a moment made even more poignant by Carrie Fisher’s passing in 2016). As expected, the franchise’s main theme returns multiple times during pivotal scenes, drawing cheers and excitement from the audience.

The film’s climax is a sonic spectacle, with strings and horns building in energy as the Resistance plan their final attack on Starkiller Base. The score traverses an emotional roller coaster of themes in the film’s final minutes, from the tragic strings marking Han Solo’s untimely death (I would say “spoiler alert,” but it’s been nine years) to the gripping, percussive theme that underscores Kylo and Rey’s thrilling lightsaber battle.

As Rey sets out to find Luke Skywalker, the concert concludes with the iconic “Star Wars” theme once again. In an impressive display of appreciation, most of the audience remained seated through the film’s credits, soaking in every last note of the performance. The concert ended with a well-deserved, five-minute standing ovation. The musicians’ endurance and talent is commendable, as they often played continuously for long stretches, flawlessly executing Williams’ score.

Blending the magic of cinema with the grandeur of live music, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens in Concert” with the Boston Pops is an unforgettable night at Symphony Hall. The success of this concert is proof that there is a place for movies at the orchestra, and vice versa — let’s hope there’s more to come in the future.

Summary The Boston Pops’ performance of J.J. Abrams’ beloved “Star Wars” film is a sonic spectacle like no other.
4.5 Stars