Where you read it first | Tuesday, September 17, 2024

NFL Kickoff 2025 — An “unprecedented” battle for history

Previewing the NFL season’s top contenders.

Patrick Mahomes vs. Washington Football Team

Patrick Mahomes is pictured lining up for a game in 2021.

Sundays just got a little louder again. Rejoice! For the first time in nearly seven months, NFL football is back.  

There’s a lot to unpack here. An off-season that saw hundreds of trades, pickups and draft acquisitions, along with coaching mainstays Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll leaving their jobs, set the stage for an unprecedented season.

Equally unprecedented is the opportunity for Super Bowl history. The Kansas City Chiefs, fresh off back-to-back Super Bowl wins, can clinch the first ever three-peat with another ring this season. Of course, an onslaught of critics question their ability to get there. The loss of key defensive pieces L’Jarius Sneed and Willie Gay Jr. hurt, but the additions of Marquise “Hollywood” Brown and rookie speedster Xavier Worthy breathe life into a talent-deprived offense. Patrick Mahomes has already proven himself as NFL royalty, and a three-peat could potentially have him knocking on the door of GOAT Tom Brady.

With the Chiefs set on history, multiple other teams emerge from the offseason ready to have a word with the defending champs; most notably their Super Bowl LVIII opponent, the San Francisco 49ers. After an offseason of drama surrounding star wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk and tackle Trent Williams’ contracts, both players finally received major new deals on the eve of the new season. A fully loaded, vengeful Niners team is arguably one of the most talented rosters we’ve seen in recent memory, but the salary cap will dictate their ability to succeed long term.

Another bitter foe, the Detroit Lions, seek to get over the hump. Dan Campbell’s squad had a 17-point lead entering halftime of last year’s NFC championship, and the horrible taste left in their mouth could add enough fuel to the team’s talented fire. Elite offensive pieces in Sam LaPorta, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jahmyr Gibbs, Penei Sewell and company, plus an underrated defense spearheaded by phenom Aidan Hutchinson, make the Lions a dangerous, chip-on-shoulder bounceback candidate.

Even though the Baltimore Ravens retooled this offseason, the AFC powerhouse most poised to dethrone the mighty Chiefs has to be the Houston Texans. They have a lethal combination of youth and veteran talent: a receiving corps of three high-caliber players in Nico Collins, Stefon Diggs and Tank Dell, a proven “bell-cow” running back in Joe Mixon, and the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year C.J. Stroud. Their fiery young defense is led by Defensive Rookie of the Year Will Anderson and Derek Stingley Jr. Although they lack playoff experience as a cohesive unit, their overwhelming and explosive offense is built to win.

This year’s NFL season is even more unprecedented due to the historic plethora of rookie talent. Heisman winning quarterbacks Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels and receivers Marvin Harrison Jr., Malik Nabers and Rome Odunze headline a deep and impressive class that could make a serious impact right away.

Other teams will certainly vie for the crown of their divisions and make noise in the playoffs: the Jets, Eagles, Packers, Dolphins and Cowboys, just to name a few.

The NFL is largely unpredictable, and this season is no different. It’s rare for dynasties like the Chiefs and Patriots to dominate an otherwise parity driven league. I’m convinced that this year’s NFC will be a bloodbath, but the Lions will come out on top. On the other hand, the historic Chiefs will find a way to reach the final stage once again.

So there’s my matchup for Super Bowl LIX in New Orleans: Chiefs vs. Lions. Who will win? My heart says the Lions, but my mind says the Chiefs. In a, yes, you guessed it, unprecedented battle for history, the Detroit Lions will shock the defending champs and take home their first Super Bowl in franchise history.