Where you read it first | Thursday, September 19, 2024

Merseyside welcomes Federico Chiesa

Liverpool adds Italian forward to complement roster.

Federico Chiesa is pictured shooting in a 2021 game against FC Zenit Saint Petersburg.

The last noteworthy Italian to grace Anfield was Mario Balotelli. Enigmatic to say the least, widely remembered for his title-winning assist to Sergio Aguero for Manchester City Football Club and a scintillating 2012 UEFA European Football Championship campaign, Balotelli was a breath of fresh air for a stale Liverpool Football Club. This was pre-Jurgen Klopp, pre-success, and one could argue a case of right player, wrong timing. On the contrary, Federico Chiesa enters what is largely the remnants of a modern dynasty, remnants that are still capable of domination. Unlike Balotelli, Chiesa is joining a star-studded squad with a stage set for him to shine.

Liverpool paid just 12 million euros for the Italian star, a bargain considering his age, former club/international record and profile. Chiesa isn’t the first former ACF Fiorentina player to wear Liverpool red either. Club legend Mohamed Salah played for Fiorentina before being brought in from Associazione Sportiva Roma in 2017. The pair will compete for the right wing, although it seems Chiesa’s role will be modified around Salah’s position. Despite Salah's prolific form, it is logical that Liverpool is looking beyond the Egyptian and building for the future, represented by the signings of Cody Gakpo, Darwin Núñez and Luis Díaz in recent seasons. These stars, however, are primarily central or left-sided goalscorers with their creativity limited to the final third of the pitch. Chiesa is slightly more dynamic and has been effective in midfield despite being a traditional winger. He is also unselfish and can feed goalscorers, as was visible when he played with Cristiano Ronaldo at Juventus Football Club.

“It’s a dream come true for me to play for Liverpool and to play in the Premier League,” Chiesa stated in his first official interview with the club. He was also asked about the attacking competition he will face for selection, but seemed confident that his qualities would earn him playing time.  

Of his qualities, many of which could still develop with time considering he’s only 26, Chiesa’s dribbling in particular sets him apart. For Juventus last season, he was in the 98th percentile or above for progressive carriers, carries into the penalty area and shot-creating actions. According to The Athletic, he recorded 4.8 shot-creating actions per game, by far the most direct statistic that contributes to goals. 

Since Klopp’s departure, Liverpool’s heavy-metal attacking style has been slightly muffled by new coach Arne Slot, who has instead opted to prioritize defensive positioning, technical finesse and possession control. The attack is less dependent on pure counterattacking and now capable of more consistent build-up play. This system is physically demanding and Chiesa fits this mold. The question is, how regularly will he play, and can he settle for a supporting role unlike the spotlight he enjoyed for years in Italy?

On Tuesday, Chiesa was brought on late against Associazione Calcio Milan for Liverpool's opening Champions League fixture. Although barely involved, Chiesa’s intense, ball-winning mentality was evident and his positioning indicated he could occupy a right/central role with the freedom to overlap when needed. Slot seems keen to develop a dynamic, multi-position squad where players can adapt to different positions. Right-back Trent-Alexander Arnold is a prime example, often moving into midfield to unlock his passing creativity.

Considering Liverpool’s overbooked season ahead, Chiesa’s true value will likely emerge deeper into the season, where fixture congestion and injuries are season-defining. Slot’s men still have to take on Bayer Leverkusen, Real Madrid Club de Fútbol and Girona Football Club in the Champions League, fixtures that pose unique challenges and will demand player rotations. His market value could also rise if he remains injury-free, a concern evidenced by his ACL troubles at Juventus. This weekend’s home fixture against Bournemouth could be Chiesa’s Premier League debut and is a must-win for Liverpool after their shocking loss to Nottingham Forest Football Club.

Liverpool’s future is firmly in the works and Chiesa is another early piece of the Slot era. He enters a dressing room filled with a refreshing blend of experience, youth and desire that is itching to reclaim titles and break records. With a father who won a UEFA Cup with Parma Calcio 1913 in 1999, Chiesa will hope to replicate such European success and win over supporters with every touch he takes. Welcome to Anfield.