Where you read it first | Thursday, September 19, 2024

It’s time to get serious about trees

Trees offer a critical resource to our urban society and a number of issues we’re facing.

urbantrees.jpg

Trees line a street in Boston's South End.

Trees are saviors we haven’t thought nearly enough about.

When you think about trees, you might think back to an elementary school lesson about how they turn carbon dioxide into oxygen, come in different types or can be identified by their leaves. That elementary school education really only scratches the surface of the hidden value trees bring to our society especially our urban society. Trees could even be the solution to issues presented by climate change and health care that plague urban communities.

Trees must be a core part of our solution to climate change. As they grow, trees store more and more carbon. Over 800 million tons of carbon dioxide are held by trees per year in the United States, totaling nearly 12% of the country’s annual emissions.

These benefits are especially pronounced in an urban setting. Urban “heat islands” are created when pavement, buildings and surfaces that retain heat are closely concentrated in an area lacking greenery. In urban areas, temperatures are 1–7 degrees Fahrenheit higher during the day and 2–5 degrees Fahrenheit lower at night compared with rural areas. These “heat islands” lead to higher energy costs from increased air conditioning use, air pollution levels and heat-related illness. Planting trees can help mitigate this issue. A 2024 study found that air temperature was reduced by 0.18 degree Fahrenheit for every 10% increase in tree cover in a neighborhood in Tacoma, Wash. As we face increases in our planet’s temperature from climate change, we should be making every effort to reduce the temperature of our communities.

These benefits barely scratch the surface of what trees can offer our urban society. The World Health Organization cites even more health benefits including better water management, contribution to culture and improving safety, comfort and human psychology. And if none of this is important to you, or if you want to consider even more value  trees bring a beautiful solution. Compared to a cumbersome, technical solution, trees are an organic method to make our neighborhoods more visually appealing and livable. By adding beauty and making our streets cooler, trees will help improve how walkable, bikeable and appealing neighborhoods are.

What’s more, trees are also very cost-effective. The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation estimated the cost of planting a tree to be $11.01 at most and less than $5 at its lowest including the costs of preparation, unloading and planting. The cost of a program to plant more trees is minimal compared to the effects that climate change could have on urban society. As such, there’s value in a massive sweeping investment to plant trees all at once. Trees take a number of years to grow to a mature size. So, if a set number of trees are planted every year, it’ll take significantly longer to see the fruit of our labor.

As a town meeting member in Lexington, Mass., I ran with a promise to protect and grow our street-side trees. Lexington has done a commendable job in protecting its conservation land, but its streets lack the all-too-important shade that comes from trees lining its streets. New proposals have included requirements for new street trees but don't do enough for private construction projects.

Trees could be a cornerstone of how we’re creating neighborhoods and a central component of our climate, equity and community goals. Planting more trees is the obvious solution to so many of the issues and concerns we currently face.